Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lost Key fob - cannot disable alarm

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2020, 6:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost Key fob - cannot disable alarm

2009 Suburban. I lost the key fob to my 2009 Suburban after I had locked it with the fob (enabling the alarm). I have a spare key (with chip but without fob) that I have used many times previously to start, lock, and unlock the vehicle. However in this instance when I unlocked the Suburban with the key, the alarm went off and the key would not start the vehicle (or stop the alarm). I assume this is because the alarm was set with the fob but the door was opened with the key. Nothing else would stop the alarm (relocking with key, relocking without key). I resorted to disconnecting the battery to stop the alarm. Reconnected the battery after a few minutes and alarm still sounded and key still didn't start car. Left battery disconnected for 1 week and reconnected and the alarm still sounded and vehicle wouldn't start.
Not sure what to do to start the vehicle. I could order a new fob but I wouldn't be able to program the fob while the alarm is sounding. I can't get the car to the dealer because it won't start.. I am trading the vehicle in so all I need is a fix to get the vehicle started again. Is there a relay or fuse that would disable the alarm and still allow the car to start.?
Old June 3rd, 2020, 8:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by JFBIII
2009 Suburban. I lost the key fob to my 2009 Suburban after I had locked it with the fob (enabling the alarm). I have a spare key (with chip but without fob) that I have used many times previously to start, lock, and unlock the vehicle. However in this instance when I unlocked the Suburban with the key, the alarm went off and the key would not start the vehicle (or stop the alarm). I assume this is because the alarm was set with the fob but the door was opened with the key. Nothing else would stop the alarm (relocking with key, relocking without key). I resorted to disconnecting the battery to stop the alarm. Reconnected the battery after a few minutes and alarm still sounded and key still didn't start car. Left battery disconnected for 1 week and reconnected and the alarm still sounded and vehicle wouldn't start.
Not sure what to do to start the vehicle. I could order a new fob but I wouldn't be able to program the fob while the alarm is sounding. I can't get the car to the dealer because it won't start.. I am trading the vehicle in so all I need is a fix to get the vehicle started again. Is there a relay or fuse that would disable the alarm and still allow the car to start.?
You can buy a new key-fob on Amazon cheap, that comes with a new chip, have it cut at a locksmith that does it, but you may have to have a dealership program the chip, as most locksmiths cannot, which is going to be the major cost here. Lots of newer Chevy vehicles reprogram by inserting a good key, turn to start, then remove the old key and insert the new one and it programs the chip for you.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5WSK2J/ref=twister_B06Y5V2L88?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5WSK2J/ref=twister_B06Y5V2L88?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 3rd, 2020 at 8:46 PM.
Old June 11th, 2020, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, buy a new key from ebay or amazon at cheap and ask a nearby locksmith to cut it for you.