Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Loud speaker rumbling noise

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud speaker rumbling noise

Hello,

I recently bought a 2005 Chevy Suburban that is having an odd issue. Often when you open any door, there is a loud rumbling noise. Sometimes it lasts 3 seconds, sometimes 10. It is coming from all the speakers. Lately it seems to be happening more often, and for longer.

I'm guessing it is related to the door chime, but have no idea where to start looking to fix this problem. A ground wire short?

The wife also called this morning and said that the driver's seat started moving by itself.

My kids think our suburban is possessed!
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:02 AM
CF Beginner

121 views and no ideas? Guess this is a forum of enthusiasts and not experts.
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering if you have an aftermarket stereo in there? perhaps if you do the module is faulty, this could explain the speaker noise, as for the seat I haven't got a clue. Although with mine I have leaned on the switch while reaching for stuff from the outside.
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Ghetto Burb
Just wondering if you have an aftermarket stereo in there? perhaps if you do the module is faulty, this could explain the speaker noise, as for the seat I haven't got a clue. Although with mine I have leaned on the switch while reaching for stuff from the outside.
No, stock speakers.

I figured out the seat thing, somehow it got set to the easy exit mode, and was just moving into position when she started the vehicle.
Old January 6th, 2013, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speakers wouldn't be the problem, if the head unit is aftermarket, in order to make it function - with the door chimes, seatbelt chime, and the radio staying on until the door is open thing - there is a module installed, perhaps that has failed. I have never heard of speakers shorting and creating a rumble they usually sound more like a crackle. In any event if the stereo (head unit) is aftermarket I would maybe suggest checking on the12volt.com maybe you'll find something there to help.
Old January 6th, 2013, 8:54 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Is the key in the ignition w/ The door open when you get the speaker noise?
Old January 6th, 2013, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Is the key in the ignition w/ The door open when you get the speaker noise?
No, can't remember hearing it with the key in. Its when you first open a door, not always immediately, sometimes a few seconds afterwards. Once the car is started, it never does it, and i don't think I've heard it after turning off the engine and opening the door to get out.

It is the stock stereo. The Factory DVD player doesn't work, but that hasn't worked for awhile.
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Bumping this, hope someone can help.

Yesterday it made a really loud screech noise when I didn't buckle my seatbelt in time, and again when I hit the Onstar button. Still doing the static rumbling noise when opening any door.

Help, its driving me crazy!
Old February 12th, 2013, 1:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> @Tim_dh, what’s the year and model of your Chevrolet?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service assisting Louis

Old February 12th, 2013, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> @Tim_dh, what’s the year and model of your Chevrolet?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service assisting Louis

Hi Michelle,

It is a 2005. 1500 2WD. Not sure what model it is, think its the LT. Has all the bells and whistles. Memory seat, heated seats, Onstar (not activated), DVD system, dual climate control, power everything, etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Quick Reply: Loud speaker rumbling noise