Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Low Fuel Warnings

Old October 24th, 2006, 3:57 PM
davemec

Default Low Fuel Warnings

I am taking my Tahoe in for service soon, and wanted to get them to look at the low fuel warnings. I only get the DIC message, I do not get the Nav info, the orange fuel light, or the chime. Just wanted to see if anyone had a TSB number for me to give to them, or if anyone had this problem corrected, and what was done.

Thanks for the help.
Old October 24th, 2006, 4:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Low Fuel Warnings

Is there a setting in the menu to notify you of low fuel that you can turn on or off?? I don't have mine with me today to go check.
Old October 24th, 2006, 4:18 PM
davemec

There is a setting in the Nav menu to have the nav warning displayed, but I have that set to On. Other than that there are no other settings within the DIC to turn off the low fuel warning. At least none that i know of.
Old October 24th, 2006, 4:25 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't take it in there is nothing wrong.
I mistakenly reported in a previous post that all the warnings (DIC, Light and Nav Msg) would all happen simultaneously because there is only one low fuel sensor in the tank. While that is correct (that there is only 1 sensor) the DIC warning apparently is triggered when the needle on the fuel gauge reaches a certain low spot, while the orange light and Nav unit are triggered by the in-tank sensor.
The engineers did this so that you would receive a warning regardless of if the gauge or sensor failed, they call it the anti-pedestrian feature.

Old October 24th, 2006, 4:35 PM
davemec

Thanks. I did notice the last time I got the DIC message that I was still able to drive another 25-30 miles and still only needed ~22 gallons to fill the tank. I remember you stated something about the in-tank sensor (nav and orange light) being triggered when there is ~1.75 gallons remaining. I'll have to keep going next time and see how far I can go till I get the in-tank sensor to activate. Hopefully everything works correctly, or it might be an embarassing call to Onstar.
Old October 24th, 2006, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't count on On-Star if you run out of fuel. I tried that once, and it didn't work out too well for me. It seems that GM will only pay for $5.00 worth of fuel for your vehicle if you run out. Also, if you run out of gas in your Tahoe it will take 3 gallons minimum to get your system primed and started. Needless to say the $5.00 worth of gas isn't going to help you too much at todays gas prices. You'd prolly get closer to 2 gallons. One other thing I've noticed, if you already have the POI set to display gas stations on your nav system, it does not warn you that you are out of fuel. The nav system says, low fuel warning, would you like to display gas stations as POI's? I'm not sure on this but I believe if you already have the gas stations turned on in your poi, you won't get a warning from your nav system. Again, I'm not positive, but this is what I think.

Jason
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Is anti-pedestrian the same as fail-safe?
Old October 25th, 2006, 8:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny that they aren't sinc-ed up. Mine come on EXACTLY at the same time..

Low Fuel in DIC
Orange fuel tank
Chime......everytime

When I'm close to home I run it from full to low. I know, I know, rust/debris/etc....
It has been simultaneous each time.
Old December 30th, 2006, 8:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WellI ran out of gas yesterday. I got my warning and needed to go 22 miles. I went 17 and ran out.

I COMPLETELY understand this is MY fault. A few notes and thoughts...

I checked the "fuel used" at the first warning. It read 24 gallons used. I get 16.3 VERY consistantly and figured 32 miles worth would get me 22 miles. I was wrong.

I figured ...since when does a 26 gallon tank hold only 26 these days. Fuel neck et al. I was wrong.

I counted on... I always get 400+ miles to a tank. I was wrong

I factored in...my fuel used reading has always been very very close to fill up numbers. I was wrong.

Fuel used read "25 gallons used" while I sat on the side of the road. It was wrong

On star worked very well. Fuel was sent and would be out in an hour. I called to cancel and phoned my waiting girlfriend (reason for pushing it). She was very amused by the way.

She brought a one gallon can...I was not amused. After struggling to get the fuel in (not a vehicle can) It started right up and got me the 5-10 miles to the station.

Long but hopefully very informative as to the real world application ofan 07system.
Old May 4th, 2014, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you test a low fuel sending unit on a 1997 Chevy Tahoe

Can anyone tell me how to test or trip a low fuel sending light?

I want to see if mine is working ok.... fuel gets really low and want to know if the light is good... THANKS