Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Low oil pressure in 03 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well 8# isnt bad oil pressure. 1# for every 100RPMs is the norm. As long as you are above 7 @ idle you re ok, but, change out the pump anyway, if you can afford to.
Old January 26th, 2011, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally the bad bowtie is finally getting fixed the o ring in the oil tube pick up is bad and they r replacing the oil pump cause the warranty company approved it.I guess thes engines are known for doing this.The shop pulled up service bulletins for it and this was one that was pulled up.should be done tommorow.Hey i just want to say thanks to all u guys for the info very helpful once again thanks,and ill try to keep coming on here to help out with anything i can,might not be much but ill give it a wirl. LOL
Old January 26th, 2011, 8:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

thanks for following up, its not just about coming to help out but also to present problems that hopefully someone will be able to help with and eventually help others
Old January 29th, 2011, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

well guys the bow tie needs a new motor it did spin a berring and it damaged the block so machining it is out of the ?.The 5.3 already has over sized berings in it.The cause of the problem was that i was loosing coolant,and what happens with the dexcrap coolant is it acts just like putting sugar in your gas tank and it basically attaches to your berings and all that, which caused the bering to shift and give me low oil pressure,and the bad o ring in the pick up tube.So my recomendation to all you guys is please change out the dexcrap in your cooling system and replace it with regular antifreez,just make sure, make sure,make sure you flush the sytem out very good.Dexcrap and antifreez DO NOT MIX VERRY WELL IT WILL CAUSE EVEN MORE DAMAGE.So if any of you are loosing coolant and have no visable leaks on your garage floor stop driving your vehical and get it in to the shop for a bad intake gasket and have it replaced,and dont forget to flush your system and replace the coolant with regular antifreez.Ill update you all later may be about a week till the motor is here and done.I hope this helps some of you out with the same prob.
Old January 29th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Ouch..

A tid-bit I found on Wikipedia..

"DEX-COOL specifically has caused controversy. Litigation has linked it with intake manifold gasket failures in GM's 3.1L and 3.4L engines, and with other failures in 3.8L and 4.3L engines. Class action lawsuits were registered in several states, and in Canada, to address some of these claims. The first of these to reach a decision was in Missouri where a settlement was announced early in December, 2007.[13] Late in March 2008, GM agreed to compensate complainants in the remaining 49 states."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dex-Cool
Old January 29th, 2011, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Yea ur not kiddin ouch im glad i have an extended warranty.I just hope anyone els reading this post will take my advice and change out their dexcrap before its to late.
Old January 29th, 2011, 4:31 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

I've got news for you, coolant in the oil is bad news no matter whether it's ethylene glycol, Dex-Cool, or plain water. The problem is that the oil sits on top of the oil and therefore the pump is pumping coolant which is not a good lubricant.

Not sure why you think Dex-Cool is worse. The problems I've heard about were when people changed out Dex-Cool for ethylene glycol and didn't flush it and it gelled on them.
Old January 29th, 2011, 4:41 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
I've got news for you, coolant in the oil is bad news no matter whether it's ethylene glycol, Dex-Cool, or plain water.
That was my thinking also...
Old February 5th, 2011, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Well ya ur wright its all bad in the oil but the problem lies in that regular antifreez blows steam out your exhaust letting u know that u have a blown a head gasget or an intake gasget,were the dex cool acts just like pooring sugar in your motor,and doesn't blow steam out your exhaust warning u of a problem.
Old February 5th, 2011, 5:35 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Where did that info come from?

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure in 03 tahoe