Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lumbar Automatically Inflating

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2013, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lumbar Automatically Inflating

I just purchased a 2011 Tahoe LTZ with power lumbar in the seats. Every time I get in the truck, the lumbar is slightly inflated despite my deflating it prior to getting out.

I have the memory seats and remote and made sure the lumbar was deflated when I programmed the seat/key (although I don't think the lumbar is even affected by memory).

Anyone ever experienced this issue?
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Try sitting in the seat after you program it, shut the door and lock w/ the fob. Unlock and open and close the door and see if the lumbar inflates.

Somewhere along the line they deleted the function whereby the memory function is engaged when a fob (#1 or #2) is used to unlock the door. Now you have to push the button on the door to change from one setting to the other. So unlocking the door w/ either fob should not change the seat, mirrors, pedals, and radio settings.
Old March 12th, 2013, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

73shark,

Thanks for the reply. The memory seat function has definitely been puzzling. The owners' manual indicates that my key is supposed to work in conjunction with the memory function, and it definitely does. What it fails to mention is that the keys aren't programmable—they come from the factory preprogrammed for 1 or 2 and can't be changed.

It took me forever to figure out why my key was moving the seat so far up. It was activating my wife's memory setting.

Anyway, I dont' think the it's the memory functionality that's messing with my lumbar. I did what you suggested and nothing happened. It just seems to happen at random. Guess it's just a defective lumbar system or faulty wiring. Will have it checked out when I take it in for service. Sounds like a problem they won't be able to replicate, however.
Old March 13th, 2013, 6:13 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Sounds like your wife pushed the number on your fob when she programmed her settings. Try reprogramming both fobs to the correct number. If the setting changes the seats, etc when you unlock w/ a different fob that lock it, then GM has gone back to the old way.
Old March 20th, 2013, 1:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Grizzld
I just purchased a 2011 Tahoe LTZ with power lumbar in the seats. Every time I get in the truck, the lumbar is slightly inflated despite my deflating it prior to getting out.

I have the memory seats and remote and made sure the lumbar was deflated when I programmed the seat/key (although I don't think the lumbar is even affected by memory).

Anyone ever experienced this issue?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Grizzld,

Memory seats on this vehicle only store the positions for seat, seatback recliner, both outside mirrors, and the throttle and brake pedals, if equipped. Lumbar setting should never change from the setting it was left at when the vehicle was left.

If this issue persists, we encourage having the vehicle inspected by a GM Certified Service Center for diagnosis and repair.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 20th, 2013, 1:31 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default key fobs

that's correct; they don't have a "1" and "2" on the fobs.

Set the seat way forward, and set memory #1.

set seat way back set #2

play w/the fobs unlocking until you figure out which is which.

annoyed me too until I did that.

that's funny about the lumbar changes.

On my tahoe, if you pull up on the power windows to make sure they are closed (a habit of mine from time to time), it will shut off the cruise control... each time. every time.

GM quality yeah!