Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Magnaflow Muffler Help !!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2008, 8:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow Muffler Help !!!!!!!

Guys,

HELP !!!!! PLEASE !!!! I have a 2008 LTZ ........ Currently I Have a K&N cold Air Intake and love the sound under throttle.....now want a muffler to help with idle lower deep rumble. I bought a Magnaflow 5 x 11 ovallike I seen in the forums.......item # 21579 center in center out...I know it should be offset right ?It does not work ? I do not want the polished but satin stainless. What is the Correct P/N - ? Where are you guys putting this muffler ? It will not fit in the back where the existing little round one is ? Are you guys putting it in place of the resonator under the cabin ? What I did at this point is cut off the original stock little round muffler at the end and just put a straight pipe with a tip on it for now......no difference in the sound really. DoI remove the resonator and put a smaller magnaflow at the end by the bumper ? If I remove the resonator will the cabin sound ( DRONE ) drive me or the falimy nuts......BOTTOM LINE I WANT A NICE IDLE and TAKE OFF RUMBLE....Thanks inadvance !!!!!!
Old May 31st, 2008, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Magnaflow Muffler Help !!!!!!!

I'd say go buy a catback kit, that's what i just did. only took 45 min to take the old one off and put the new kit on. Looks great and sounds good
Old May 31st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Which kit did you get?

goaliemaskmark: Welcome to the Tahoe forum. The muffler is that big honker under the passenger side. The little round one at the end is a resonator. Some who have removed the resonator have reported a deeper sound w/o drone.
Old May 31st, 2008, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

May i suggest magnaflow part 12589. Center and offset (reversible) 3" in and out. 5x11. I bought this muffler and had the resonator removed and a magnaflow oval stainless steel tip welded. (don't install the exhaust yourself with clamp-on...spend a $100 and get it professionally installed. I have this set up and i am extremely pleased with it.
Old May 31st, 2008, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

[quote]ORIGINAL: 73shark

Which kit did you get?

I bought the Magnaflow Cat-back kit, it was $500 but worth it.
Old May 31st, 2008, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

Guys,

I do not have a kit.....trying to save some dough !!!! I just have the Magnaflow 12579 and a Magnaflow tip...the shop by me said this muffler would NOT work as it is center/center ???? Has ANYONE put this one on with success ? I cut off that small round resonater and put a straight pipe and welded the tip on so far. Does not really sound much different ? Is the Magnaflow 12589 really necessary ?

Mark
Old May 31st, 2008, 6:36 PM
CF Junior Member

goalie
take a look at the existing muffler...should be center/offset.. unless you get the cat back system it would appear you would need to use the existing center/offset set up....if stock is not center/center what would make you think that center/center would work. take that muffler back and get the correct part, install and enjoy
Old May 31st, 2008, 9:24 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

My catback which is round, is center in and out. Can't remember what the factory one was but think it was the same. Have to go look. The SOB was sure heavy.
Old June 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM
CF Junior Member

I just wanted to add that when I replaced my cats I got a Magnaflow cat from Summit, and I enjoyed the little extra sound I got. Not much but noticable. And the cats look better and I believe weigh less. I might get some more exhaust pats from Magnaflow, but afraid of getting too loud