Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Mass air flow problem

Search this Thread

Old June 4th, 2007, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air flow problem

At least i think that is what my problem is.

Basically what is going on is:

Every time i start the truck and take off. It spits and sputtereds. After it warms up its fine. Also when i'm driving if i decide to nail on the gas and sounds like it floods out and hestates real bad. If you are easy on the gas when you lay into. Steadly get up to higher speeds you don't have the problem. this all started when i put my heads on. The back bolt on the drivers side was back out and causing a leak.
To fix the leak i put a new gasket in the headers and got the stage 8 lock tight bolts. No more leak but i still have the same problem. I replace the exaust with the straght pipe instead of the borla mufflers. I was told that i don't have no back pressure and this is why my truck is running like this. I find that hard to beleve becasue my friend's tahoe has the same set up with stock heads and his truck hauls ***.
I was told it may be my mass air flow going out. Also when the truck acts up the engine light comes on but goes off the next time you start up the truck.
Any ideas would be aprrechated.

thank you
Dave
Old June 4th, 2007, 6:02 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Mass air flow problem

Fuel pump?
Old June 6th, 2007, 5:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Unplug the MAF and see how it runs, if it runs better then replace it if it runs worse then look at something else.

If you have done major engine work and altered your vehicle in a seriously illegal way it could be anything.

I can tell you that if you've dumped the cat's and muffler the ECM does not have flexibility with stock programming to make the proper adjustments and with out some backpressure the truck will have weak bottom end.

If you have tubular headers I have seen heat cook sparkplug wires and cause what you are describing as well.
These are some of the fun problems to look forward to when you monkey around with your toys, good luck.
Old June 7th, 2007, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

I had already replaced the wiresand plugs. Still acted the same.

The exasut i have set up i still have my cats but that is it. Its straight pipe after the cats.

The more and more i ask every body they think its the fuel pump. I already tried to replace the fuel filter and that didn't help.

I guess i'm going to try to have a mechanic drive it and see what he thinks.

thanks guys
Old June 7th, 2007, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

You need a fuel pump or get your cats check