Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Monroe Quick struts / Strut replacement (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/monroe-quick-struts-strut-replacement-60220/)

73shark August 30th, 2013 3:21 PM

It's not that the gas goes bad, just the fact that the ethanol ruins the metal parts in the fuel system and rubber parts.

tech2 August 30th, 2013 7:35 PM

what product are you using for treating the fuel? This drier product is supposed to be fantastic BG Products

ethanol fuel is even causing problems for the e85 cars.

Joe In NY August 30th, 2013 11:10 PM

We just use the stabil treatment. Ethanol sucks, no way around it. What boat owner isn't aware of the ethanol eating every thing...

Goat-v August 31st, 2013 10:28 AM

I just ordered the monroe quick strut. Got them for 107 each. Will see if they are worth it.

in2pro August 31st, 2013 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Goat-v (Post 255850)
I just ordered the monroe quick strut. Got them for 107 each. Will see if they are worth it.

:cool: do follow up with how it goes... I know my Tahoe has a plastic/rubber coating on the strut springs... update with what the quick struts come with i.e. bare or painted coil spring of if its coated... My shocks and struts should be here Wednesday...

in2pro September 3rd, 2013 8:31 PM

WooHoo! my shocks, struts and spring compressor all showed up today:D

Did a quick inventory and inspection and noticed that the struts did not include the top strut nut:confused: checked both, the boxes were fully sealed, so it looks like its a trip to the dealer for the p.n. 11561435 top strut nut...

Manual is pretty explicit about the nut being replaced so I will...

Joe In NY September 3rd, 2013 9:09 PM

Ummm, recheck the boxes! Had to replace the front struts on a car months ago and reused the nuts, and to find when I tore the boxes apart each one a small brown paper bag that was sealed, they were tapped to the boxes and inside, brand new nuts...

in2pro September 4th, 2013 8:46 AM

Originally Posted by Joe In NY (Post 256103)
Ummm, recheck the boxes! Had to replace the front struts on a car months ago and reused the nuts, and to find when I tore the boxes apart each one a small brown paper bag that was sealed, they were tapped to the boxes and inside, brand new nuts...

Good idea :cool:, did a double check even had the wife do a second check for me, no dice or no nut in this case...:(

in2pro September 5th, 2013 5:58 PM

rear shock install (non auto ride)

No luck on the strut nuts, dealer didn't even stock them had to order them, they'll be here tomorrow morning coming from the Dallas warehouse... $9.85 for two stinkin' nuts :mad:

After my root canal this morning:eek: I got started on the rear shocks just because they "should' be easy plug and play... took about 30 min each 3/4 combo wrench and a 3/4 socket with a 6 inch extension..

WARNING WARNING WARNING
Be very careful securing/removing the top bolt, do not use any power tools in this blind spot! I was unaware that the wheel speed sensor connector to the main harness is located on the top of the frame... even with hand tools only, I managed to knock the connector loose unknown to me...
After getting it all back together and firing her up to drive around check the ride.
I immediately got a Service Traction Control / Stabili-trac and an ABS warning light... after some troubleshooting and retracing what I had done and where I had been and a little panicking :eek: I found the loose connector and reattached it...
I express the warning because if you use power/air tools you could potentially damage the harness portion and not know it till too late, and it is very hard to get to to repair.

The error cleared right up after re-connecting :D:cool:

The old rear shocks, I have to admit still had some good life to them, they still had a good amount of recoil after compression and were not easily compressed. I suspect I could have gone to the 100k mark with them or 8 years... A short ride with just the rears and it does seem a bit more firm and the rear end seems to sit just a tad higher, but that could settle after a few miles....

It will be a week or two till I get around to getting the front struts done, but I will update and take a few pictures as well for them...

fishing nut September 5th, 2013 8:43 PM

Thanks for posting.