Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

More Fustration and gm "brilliance" - 2007

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2014, 10:30 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More Fustration and gm "brilliance" - 2007

So our suspension is no longer working after new shocks and 2 new compressors...

About to take a 5 hour trip to Boston so I figured I would take a look at the ride control module. They are *ahem* $506 from the dealer and $310 online

Might as well just take a quick check of connections, right?

First thing is finding, looked and looked all around couldn't see anything. So I thought I would just drop the spare and fill as it was flat. Well that took an hour! Thanks to the wonderful work of the chevy collision center the rear bumper didn't at all line up the key lock! Thankfully they did such a bad job and used the wrong retaining clips that both bottom mounts had torn. So I pulled the bumper away from the burb and got the key up in from behind the bumper. To discover that they never locked the key lock holder in place! Its just there sitting loosely. Because they hadn't put it in right that meant my tool kit was a PITA to slide up to the cable winch...

Now comes in the "BRILLIANCE" of chevy engineers. I just loosened the cable to find that, oh, its being held up still... What the hell? Consult the manual to find... "Secondary Latch System" oh what JOY! "The secondary latch system is to prevent your spare tire from falling while vehicle is in motion." If you have to engineer a secondary latch, FIRE THE FIRST ENGINEER! Then, go hire one that actually knows what he is doing! I have NEVER heard a story of someones spare falling... So I did the steps in the manual MANY TIMES OVER and got NO WHERE! I mean, really? It would've been nice to know that if we got a flat we can sure as hell know that we DON'T have a spare to count on! I had to pry the latch apart and got it to fall. What a stupid *** design. Got the tire off and filled then took my angle grinder and got rid of that wonderful "secondary latch system"...

The ride control module it right above the spare. I tapped with my finger and the two small torx screws that hold it into its mini frame literally popped the heads.. So that made it real easy to pull out and inspect the plug. Surprisingly someone at chevy can design a proper plug. Very well done, Perfectly clean inside. So little oil and back up it went. Right now, its zip tied in place as I dont have small enough screws or a replacement unit... But there is no way you are going to take it apart and inspect the internals. Sealed for good...

Boy this car really tests my patience...
If I get the job I interviewed for back in Texas I can't wait to DUMP this POS and go buy a FORD EXCURSION!

Looking at a couple 2004~2005 Limited with heated seats, DVD, and the 6.0 Diesel (already have the bullet proofing list, $4k)... Always wanted an Excursion and with what is going with gm and this POS burb, I'm never going back to gm. Hope I can wave good buy for good!

I really don't know how you guys put up with these things any more... The old ones were great, 2002 was the nicest SUV I've ever owned and ridden in, this 07 is not at all special and a royal pain in my ***!

Last edited by Joe In NY; April 10th, 2014 at 10:35 PM.
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:38 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Secondary latch - a redundant system to ensure bad things don't happen, like a spare tire falling off the truck on a highway. But yes, you know better than the GM engineers.

That's why no other mechanical devices use redundant systems - like airplanes (TRIPLE redundant hydraulics), trucks, boats, etc.
Old April 10th, 2014, 10:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Oh ok two latches so that my spare will NEVER come down when needed. THANK YOU gm! Our old burb DID NOT have this and, it worked fine! Plus, its a car. Not an airplane or commercial boat! Plus boats, hmmm, one mechanical fuel pump, one fuel filter, one oil filter, one oil pump, one carb, one transmission, one propeller, one cable drive rudder, one alternator, one everything, one V8 351 Wondsor, on both of our boats. UH OH! One of everything? How could that possible work??? Oh wait, Hmmm, works just fine, why have more to go wrong? If you more than one of every thing that means two things to stop the ONE action from happening, yay!

Probably the same brilliace engineer who looked at the 350 Chevy motor and said, "Nice motor, its cheap, reliable, good power, goes against ford great, now, just to make a failure point to ruin the whole thing... A PLASTIC OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT! Thats a great idea! Its much better than metal cause it can fail!" Nice to know that PCM used Ford 351W for 30+ years and that almost every small lake boat has them Its hard to kill those motors...

Last edited by Joe In NY; April 10th, 2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's your sign "Joe"!

Your vehicle was rebuilt but some random nut jobs. What kind of accident was it in? Maybe that's where all your problems are being sourced from?

Secondary latch is just an expanding barb, I'd hate to see you fishing.

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Oh ok two latches so that my spare will NEVER come down when needed. THANK YOU gm! Our old burb DID NOT have this and, it worked fine! Plus, its a car. Not an airplane or commercial boat! Plus boats, hmmm, one mechanical fuel pump, one fuel filter, one oil filter, one oil pump, one carb, one transmission, one propeller, one cable drive rudder, one alternator, one everything, one V8 351 Wondsor, on both of our boats. UH OH! One of everything? How could that possible work??? Oh wait, Hmmm, works just fine, why have more to go wrong? If you more than one of every thing that means two things to stop the ONE action from happening, yay!

Probably the same brilliace engineer who looked at the 350 Chevy motor and said, "Nice motor, its cheap, reliable, good power, goes against ford great, now, just to make a failure point to ruin the whole thing... A PLASTIC OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT! Thats a great idea! Its much better than metal cause it can fail!" Nice to know that PCM used Ford 351W for 30+ years and that almost every small lake boat has them Its hard to kill those motors...
Old April 11th, 2014, 8:44 AM
CF Senior Member

I love fishing! Friend showed me how to jig for lake trout. Go out early in the morning, they hangout right around the 120~150 ft mark. Thats right where the lake floor starts to really drop off. A good morning I fill my limit by 8am.

But this burb, I cannot find any love in my heart for it...

And this burb got rear ended twice and chevy collision got it both times. Boy do they do a HORRIBLE job! The first time I picked it up instantly "Service park assist" Oh nice, and they didn't bother to fill my right rear tire which had gone down to 18 psi! Thanks for filling it! And they said they would buff some scratches out for us, didn't do that. So it stayed another day. Turns out they didnt bother to plug in the new park assist controller that sits between the frame and bumper. Finally got it home to see EVERY wire loom with brand new retainer but none of them were pushed in place! So I had to put all the looms where they belong. And after the first rain storm the trunk was soaked! They didn't bother to put the brand new rubber boot for the rear door in place either! You can tell its top notch service from chevy!

Last edited by Joe In NY; April 11th, 2014 at 8:48 AM.