Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Mud Flaps

Search this Thread

Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts
Default RE: Mud Flaps

ORIGINAL: bimmerborn

ORIGINAL: 73shark

I don't remember drilling my rear ones. Maybe only used two of the three screws or used a self-drilling/self-tapping screws.
I had to drill 4 holes (one per each flap). I also had to remove all 4 wheels.
Are you using the molded ones or the flat ones?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 1:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Are you using the molded ones or the flat ones?
Molded ones.
Old January 9th, 2008, 11:45 AM
davemec

tahoe07, how did you drill the holes (one for each side) for the rear flaps without removing the tires?
Old January 9th, 2008, 1:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my Husky Molded flaps (see my post above) last night and they are real nice...about an 1" shorter than GM version and blend nicely with running boards.
Old January 10th, 2008, 7:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also..had to drill no holes and came with all mounting screws, clips, etc. to replace stock 'plugs'...
Old January 10th, 2008, 8:44 AM
davemec

Thanks, but I was talking about the OEM mud guards that I know tahoe07 has installed on his, and wanted to know how he was able to drill the holes for the rear ones without removing the rear tires.
Old January 10th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Administrator

I used the OEM molded flaps and didn't have to drill any holes. Used three screws per flap.

You could use a right angle attachment for your drill if you have to drill holes tho.
Old January 10th, 2008, 2:51 PM
davemec

Are you saying that you chose not to drill any holes, cause my instructions have me drilling holes for the front and the back guards. For the rear the instructions are to use two supplied screws and one existing screw. One of the supplied screws is to go into a hole that isn't there which is the need for drilling.
Old January 10th, 2008, 3:47 PM
Administrator

I went out and checked and what I did was use some of the extra U-clips (never throw anything away) like the ones that came with the flaps and used them on an existing hole in the fender flange.

I just didn't want to take all of the wheels off and didn't want to wait until the next rotation.

I think you can get the extra clips at most auto parts stores.

Hope this helps.
Old January 10th, 2008, 8:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,

It has been awhile but if I recall all I had to do was mount the bit as far into the chuck as possible and then drill at a slight angle.(in toward center of vehicle slightly as opposed straight toward back)

Remember you are only drilling into thin sheet metal. That angle will not matter. The screw still bites in and the hole is only a pilot. The screw is alot thicker than bit.

PS
On my Ram I had to usea phillips-head bit from a bit driver. I put it into a ratchet with the socket to fit. This gave me a really short screwdriver that I could really press in with. I got the screw to bite and never drilled the holes.

One of the two methods will work.

Quick Reply: Mud Flaps