Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

My first Suburban...a couple questions.

Search this Thread

Old January 25th, 2011, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Suburban...a couple questions.

Hi all..I just purchased my first Suburban last week and have some questions. I would like to be able to take it Off Road, but still have good highway useability. It is not my daily driver, just a toy.

First off a little information about my burb:

1992 Suburban k2500 4x4 - It is an EX RCMP vehicle from northern Alberta. has the civilian interior installed, 2 bench seats, no 3rd row. It's funny I never thought but my girlfriend loves it, and with our 2 big dogs, camping gear and bikes it should work great

So far it has: 5.7L, Rebuilt 4L80E, 4.10 gears, 2" lift, 285/75 R16 tires, Hi Flow Exhaust w/ Cat, K&N Intake, horton back up cooling system, 3 mode shift kit, electric fans..I think thats it so far.

My questions are:

-There is a clunk when you shift it into gear, that can be heard inside and out of the vehicle...u-joints?

-when you let off the gas, or rest your foot barely on the throttle there is a rumble/shake almost like you are going across rumble strips on the highway...any idea?

-It needs tires soon..should I stick with that size? What would be an alternative?

-I was thinking about doing rock guard (the rubber box liner stuff) on the flares, and bottom..what would work best? Also I want to put one of those Safari type cages on the roof, any recommendations?

-Any other information would be great; like I said this is my first Suburban, and can use all the help I can get.

Thanks
Old January 25th, 2011, 8:01 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd check the U-joints for both the clunk and the rumble.