Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Navagation system sucks so far

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2006, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navagation system sucks so far

I just purchaced my new 2006 Suburban ( loaded) about 2 weeks ago and i am thrilled with the vehicle in most areas. However either i am missing something or this is the stupidest GPS system i have ever used. I have spent several hrs going through the manual and set up procedure with very poor results. First of all i cant entre my address, the system truncates to some other address that is a few blocks away but not mine. Also i cant enter my phone # as a home location as the system does the same thing and migrates to an address several blocks away. Even when i try to set the Home location the system does not have my street in the database.

The system appears to have a very limited database of streets and addresses and so far i cant find any after market software that would make the system work in a more egronomic manner. I have a little pocket GPS ( Garmin) that works better and easier than this one. I used to have a boat that had a much better system also. I am a computer person and also an engineer ( electrical ) so i am not exactly stupid about how these things work. In fact the Garmin Pilot is much easier to use and also has a much richer data base for streets, maps. farm roads, back roads and just over all ease of use.

Having to spend half an hr programing a GPS is not reasonable and this is what it takes for this thing when it finally accepts an address ( not the right one) .

Can someone give me some advice or council about this thing? Is there a better software package than the one that Chev sells? Is there an internet resource that someonw can point me to? This thing was a big waste of money so far.

I like most features on the car but i have not tested everything out so far.

Regards

cbstock
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:46 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Navagation system sucks so far

i used to put black tape on my vcr when i couldent get the clock set does that help?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 4:27 AM
CF Beginner

I know where i live, and when I travel I use a map. Why should everything be so modern?
And when you are focusing on the display of that GPS you are in hazard in the traffic.
The experience is good to bring with you.
suburban 6.5TD, 1995, top speed 175 km/h
suzuki T500, 1972, top speed 180 km/h
suzuki gs1100g, 1984, top speed 230 km/h
toyota carina 1.8 sli, 1997, top speed 185 km/h
5 bicycles 24 gears, 1 for me, 1 for my vife and 3 for my children. top speed 80 km/h, downhill.
map and compass, walking in the forest about 4 km/h, and enjoying life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rgds eagle
Old September 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM
CF Beginner

you are pretty much correct. the nav syatem int he 06's was not very good. it was ment more as a fancy radio than a map. The new 07s are a lot more user friendly and have alot more roads. my only advise to you is to make sure you are in the right zone...other than that i really cant help you any
Old September 12th, 2006, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

I just got a '07 Suburban and the Navigation system is not accurate at all! I have a Garmin 2720 and a '06 Nissan with a Nav and both of these come up with about the same directions. The '07 Suburban Nav gives some impossible directions.

I have the latest DVD (15934919) but the data appears to be 2004 vintage. It is unaware of road changes that are 2 years old. The Nissan was like that originally, but I updated the DVD to 2005 and it is pretty accurate now.

I went to Washington, DC this past weekend and used the Garmin 2720 along with the factory unit and they weren't even close to the same.

As far as I am concerned, the factory unit is worthless!! Anybody else having these problems?

Old September 14th, 2006, 5:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure that you have the latest Navigation DVD installed, the latest DVD for your 2006 Delphi system is GM part #15906573
You can register for free updated DVD subscription at: https://www.gmnavdisc.com/subscription.do
There has been a delay getting the subscription service up and running but keep checking back it will be up soon.

The GPS portion of the OEM navigation systems are very good however the mapping DVD overlay calibration can be off a little in certain areas and missing some information like new road construction and POI’s as well., GM is working hard to get new updated and corrected disks out to the consumer to remedy the problems that you guys describe.

GM uses Navteq GPS mapping data base information when compiling the GPS navigation DVD’s that our systems use, Navteq is widely regarded as offering some of the most precise and accurate GPS mapping available, one problem with Navteq is that new roads and changes may take some time to be verified and entered into their database, then that information must be reformatted and recalibrated for use in various Navigation units.

Another difference is that companies like Garmin that make their sole existence on GPS products and sell millions of units per year, keep there data up to date better than other companies. also, a high-end navigation unit like the Garmin 2720 Street Pilot uses WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) technology for enhanced accuracy and is a GPS navigation device only, it doesn’t have a stereo or play DVD’s are do anything else.
The navigation units in most cars are designed to provide the average driver with a decent experience to get from point A to point B and locate a few POI’s in between, they are not intended to shoot an ILS cat IIIc approach into runway 35R with.