Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Navigation and Bluetooth

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2007, 4:37 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation and Bluetooth

I guess I am more venting than anything else. I bought my 07 Tahoe LT3 a month ago and I bought it right as the dealer was closing. I knew what I wanted and what options I needed. Included in this was the navigation. I have a new 07 Lexus LS and a 06 Infiniti G35.I was told by the dealer and the sales manager that the navigation did the same thing. Well, after playing with it for a few weeks and doing research I came to find out that it didn't. Not only is the picture "choppy" but it has like 20% of the voice command functions than almost any other navi system out there. I also found out that Chevy stopped the option of getting directions from voice commands as soon as they got the On-Star bundle put in, along with the Bluetooth Function. Then they go and blame it on a "programming error".

I guess was gets to me is that there are aftermarket units that you can by with both Bluetooth and Voice command directions for about 500 bucks instead of the 2200 we pay for the Navi system.

How does that make sense?
Old February 12th, 2007, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default RE: Navigation and Bluetooth

Welcome to the forum. Did you test drive it first and check out the Nav?

BTW, I get voice turn commands on mine. Are you sure you have them turned on?
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:13 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the greeting!

I test drove the Tahoe and loved how it drove. I left the explanation of the Nav to the dealer.

Regarding the Turn by Turn, I meant that with the other models you are able to enter a destination using voice controls. They did away with that handy feature when they got On Star. It's useful when you are a contractor or a developer or someone who is on the move constantly and can't stop off on the side of the freeway to enter an address.
Old February 13th, 2007, 9:25 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I believe you can enter a destination with voice command if it's in your address book.
Old February 14th, 2007, 4:45 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never heard of GM blaming anything that you mention above on a "programming error".

My word of advice is: If you are person of a picky nature or retentive (you know who you are) then it's simple common sense that you should research any expensive or technical product yourself and not leave the details up to a salesperson.

The GM navigation system is designed for the average consumer and to be easy to operate, integrate seamlessly into the vehicle and be robust enough to last the life of the vehicle, it is not the most feature rich or technologically advanced unit in the industry nor is it marketed as such.

Dave
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:09 PM
CF Active Member

I agree to an extent Dave, but when you go to a salesperson to buy a TV or a new video game system, don’t you go with the notion that these people would be somewhat trained in the area of the sales? I mean if you go to Wal-Mart to purchase a TV then I am sure that the person making minimum wage behind the counter helping 127 people really won’t know the difference between plasma and LCD. I bought a Chevy, America’s top selling SUV maker, not a KIA Sportage. I did my research when it came to fuel efficiency, warranty, crash rate testing, and even environmental pollution impact studies. When it comes to the basic gadgetry of the vehicle I assumed that I would be dealing with something a bit better. The fact of the matter is that any other navigation system that does not run with On Star has more features than the GM vehicles. Even the systems that are put in Hondas and Toyotas.
On other nav systems you have the option of entering a destination while driving by saying the address, city and state. You can ask it to show nearest ATM or Chinese restaurant, you can control the climate and AC. Feel free to contact your local dealer and ask him why the nav system has few voice command controls than others do and see what they say. I asked 4 different dealers in my area and was told pretty much the same thing. It was a program error and in the future if it was fixed that they would let me know.
I agree that the nav system is made for the average consumer, but are you saying that the Tahoe is an average vehicle? Like I said earlier, I went to a Chevy dealer, not a Scion or KIA dealer.