Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   need differentail expert (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/need-differentail-expert-54741/)

hunterjo December 22nd, 2012 11:31 AM

i have new question. it has do with the over heating of diff. what i did was take preload off pinion bearing . i set them at zero slop. test drove 30 miles it did not get hot( 110 degrees at diff. housing). then preloaded to setting before( 15 inch lbs of torque) test drove 30 miles temp went up to 130 degrees. can any explain that one?
hunterjo

MrMarty51 December 22nd, 2012 7:32 PM

That is normal,after the new bearing get wore in the preload will diminish and the tems will come down.
Sometime if You get around a semi rig that has just come in off the road,place Your hand onto one of those differenials,probably wo`nt be able to hold it there for too long.just sayin.

73shark December 22nd, 2012 11:44 PM

Probably why most race cars have a diff. cooler. Just saying.

MrMarty51 December 23rd, 2012 8:43 AM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 235993)
Probably why most race cars have a diff. cooler. Just saying.

HHHMMMMmmmm,I learned something today.Thanks
See,even an old dog like Me is`nt done learning. :eek: :)

hunterjo December 25th, 2012 9:06 PM

i have another question. does any know the pinion depth setting on a 8.6 chevy rear end (2001) or is there a place i can look it up. i have been looking for over a hour and can not find it.
hunterjo

MrMarty51 December 26th, 2012 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by hunterjo (Post 236239)
i have another question. does any know the pinion depth setting on a 8.6 chevy rear end (2001) or is there a place i can look it up. i have been looking for over a hour and can not find it.
hunterjo

I do`nt work on a lot of the newer stuff but according to My 1984 Motors truck service manual it says :
If a new pinion or differential carrier is installed,note the markings on the end of the pinion gear and on the differential carrier to obtain the correct thickness of shimming to be used with these parts from Your supplier.the shims behind the rear bearing establishes the correct pinion depth.

OK,with that said I would still have available the correct pinion depth guage to be sure everything is correct. but,that is just of My own personnal opinioin.

hunterjo December 27th, 2012 6:57 PM

the depth gauge i bought only reads after market gears(i should have read the fine print)factory pinion&gears don;t put that info on them. so i am back to step one.

MrMarty51 December 31st, 2012 4:50 PM

Welkp,not much I can do here.Like I said,I`m not fdamiliar with the newer GM stuff so I could`nt tell You if they stamped the measurements onto them or not.
I did`nt know that the aftermarket pinion gears would be different,I thought they were manufactured to meet the OEM specs.
I was and am hoping someoine in here with some experience on the newer stuff would jump in and giver You a hand.
Have You tried to do a search for setting up the pinioin depth ???? You tube is a GREAT source of information,just look at several videos and pick the correct one.

suburbansteve3 January 1st, 2013 9:54 PM

i can save anyone rebuilding a rear end alot of time

i hate rebuilding diffs id rathe just put a complete one in but i have rebuilt many i have a few 1/2 ton rearends that i have done w 300k since rebuild so i do kno wat im doing
te biggest time saver i have foun is to buy 2 inner pinion bearings i polish one out so it slides on and off and i use this one for set up when i get the pinion spacing rite i take it back out and put the new untouched one in
i also still have some lead paste (is now illegal) but if u can find it it works beter to check gear mesh
just my two cents

MrMarty51 January 2nd, 2013 10:01 AM

Dana Holding Corporation The Expert Librarian - Information for driveshafts, u-joints, axles, heavy axles, light axles, Drivelines