Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

NEED HELP! 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 doesn't start and stalls when driving!

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2018, 10:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP! 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 doesn't start and stalls when driving!

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban 4WD 1500 w/143,000 miles. It started stalling while driving or not starting at all about six months ago. There doesn’t seem to be any specific conditions that cause it to stall or not start.

Engine won't crank & dash warning lights & gauges randomly cut off while driving or don't start at all. I turn the key & nothing?! BUT everything else works??

When it stalls, while driving, the engine and dash warning lights/gauges abruptly shut down. There is no warning or indicators when it happens. Occasionally it just doesn't start even if it’s been sitting for a few hours or overnight. The warning lights and/or gauges haven’t indicated any problems when the truck is stalling or when it’s restarted. Might not be the best method, but… sometimes opening and slamming the driver door can get it to start?! It used to work more often than it has recently. Also, the stalling is occurring more frequently.

Whether the truck will restart after stalling is hit & miss. If not the motor doesn’t even crank and the dash warning lights/gauges don’t work at all. However, everything not associated with the motor or the dash warning lights/gauges works (i.e., interior/exterior lights, AC/heater, radio, etc.). It’s as if the ignition is off.

We have checked fuses and grounding. I recently took it to the shop and assume they checked pressures, sensors and other common problems that could be causing the stalling and starting issues. They eventually power-cycled the Clifford alarm, charged me and called it was fixed. After about an hour of driving it stalled in the middle of an intersection. While it was being pushed the dash lights/gauges came back on and when I tried it started right up. While pushing the key was on and it was in neutral.

I bought the truck new in 1999. It set for a few years and then three years ago we replaced the engine, water pump, batteries, spider, fuel pump w/sending unit, catalytic converter and oxygen sensors. Replaced some other smaller things like tires, a door handle, etc. It was expensive, but we have emotional ties and want to keep her running.

I’ve searched the internet, endlessly, and although there are lots of problems similar to ours there are so many different ideas of what could be causing the problems. If you have any ideas of what could help we’d greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by BeckyPDX; February 23rd, 2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: add, repeat of words.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 1:25 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a different battery and see if you get the same results.
Old March 7th, 2018, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gonna be it's the fuel pump