Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help with ac issue.

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2018, 7:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with ac issue.

Hello , first post but I知 pretty desperate.

I have a 2015 suburban LT. last time I drove the car was few days ago and the ac has always worked just fine. This morning I get in the car and all I知 getting is warm then now hot air.

I had a 13 Yukon before where it used to do this sometimes and the fix for me was to just take the hvac fuse out and let the car reset. However on this car, I can稚 seem to find the hvac fuse.

First of all, is there such a fuse on this car? If not, what can I do to try and reset the hvac system? what other easy solutions can I try before taking it to a shop?
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Silviaspeck
Hello , first post but I’m pretty desperate.

I have a 2015 suburban LT. last time I drove the car was few days ago and the ac has always worked just fine. This morning I get in the car and all I’m getting is warm then now hot air.

I had a 13 Yukon before where it used to do this sometimes and the fix for me was to just take the hvac fuse out and let the car reset. However on this car, I can’t seem to find the hvac fuse.

First of all, is there such a fuse on this car? If not, what can I do to try and reset the hvac system? what other easy solutions can I try before taking it to a shop?

1. Make sure the magnetic clutch is engaging the A/C pump.
2. Make sure you still have Refrigerant/Freon R-134A. Engine off.
3. Disconnect battery, let it set, hook it back up. Might reset itself.
4. The fuse or relay might be under the hood, not the dash. Drivers side.
5. Might be an ECM issue. Get a scan-tool and check for OBD II codes.
6. If A/C system still has pressure, hot-wire the A/C clutch or low-pressure
switch, start engine and fill with can of sealant/ R-134A/colored leak-finder.

Wear some kind of eye/face-shielding, thick jacket and thick gloves!.

Might be your low-pressure switch is disengaging the A/C clutch. Which
means you have a leak somewhere. If no pressure, dont add R-134A, as you will
now have Atmo in your system and it needs to be vacuum-pumped down and out
to -30 PSI or it won't cool properly, and will likely still leak down once again.

Check all your A/C fittings and wires under the hood for tightness. Make sure the A/C dash
switch/dial is working as well. Might be a corrosion issue with the wiring. I use dielectric grease
to keep that from occurring on my vehicles.

Hopefully you still have a factory warranty on the vehicle? If so, make the dealership repair it.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; May 4th, 2018 at 11:54 AM.
Old May 5th, 2018, 1:43 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Silviaspeck: Welcome to the forum.
Old May 5th, 2018, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

only use sealant if you never want a shop to work on your a/c system. This clogs a/c machines. New machines have refridgerant purity detection. If any sealant is present, the shop will refuse to contaminate their $5000 equipment to work on your vehicle. If a leak is present, find the leak and fix it correctly.
Old May 5th, 2018, 3:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
only use sealant if you never want a shop to work on your a/c system. This clogs a/c machines. New machines have refridgerant purity detection. If any sealant is present, the shop will refuse to contaminate their $5000 equipment to work on your vehicle. If a leak is present, find the leak and fix it correctly.
I agree. Just R134A, with some leak detection color should work out fine.
Old May 7th, 2018, 2:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's easy to check the basics. Turn the air on and make sure the clutch is engaging. If it's not the most common cause is low refrigerant. I fixed a leaking condenser on my wife's Chrysler last weekend (2012 T&C). That required a system draw down and refill. With the proper tools it's an easy job. Could be some other things as well. Check the most likely first. Check the lines/condenser/compressor for a oily residue. PAG Oil will usually be found around the leak area. I have used leak stop (the expensive one) in an old Volvo and it worked like a champ for a leaking evaporator core. But, for something as new as a 2015 I would fix it the right way and not use leak stop.
Old May 7th, 2018, 3:37 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by falconbrother
It's easy to check the basics. Turn the air on and make sure the clutch is engaging. If it's not the most common cause is low refrigerant. I fixed a leaking condenser on my wife's Chrysler last weekend (2012 T&C). That required a system draw down and refill. With the proper tools it's an easy job. Could be some other things as well. Check the most likely first. Check the lines/condenser/compressor for a oily residue. PAG Oil will usually be found around the leak area. I have used leak stop (the expensive one) in an old Volvo and it worked like a champ for a leaking evaporator core. But, for something as new as a 2015 I would fix it the right way and not use leak stop.
I agree, and agree with the age of the truck. If the ac clutch is engaged, if fan is on, ac is on (etc.) no cold air out of the vents, and the ac lines have condensation, I say the system is fine, but you have an actuator problem with the blend doors. I have an 03 that did the same thing, you'd have to pull over shut it off, then restart it. I don't know if an 2015 uses that same part.