Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

NEED HELP FAST

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2006, 1:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEED HELP FAST

hopefully the guy @ the shop will give u $'s for repairing what's broken, and maybe upgrading 2 a stronger diff., as well.
Old October 26th, 2006, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

the suburban is actually my dad's and he always takes it to this shop that does the most half a$$ed work and charges way too much. for instance i have an eagle talon and they wanted to charge me $700 dallars just for one trans axle. they also had to go through 3 of them because they kept getting bad ones. it was rediculous and the last time i ever go there.
Old October 26th, 2006, 8:37 PM
CF Active Member

it sure sounds like u need 2 shop around and look 4 a competent mechanic. if u go looking, u should try some specialty shops-like ones that deal with off road trucks (since your truck is 4x4), who know's, maybe they'll have greater access 2 used parts. any performance (speed) shop would have no problem fixing a broken diff. (probably the most common part 2 break, since everyone wants 2 go fast first, then think about having all that power actually get 2 the ground and hook-up). talk 2 any guys around your area who drives anything that's not stock-even an import guy should have a shop that he knows will do rear wheel drive repairs. good luck with your currnt mech. otherwise.
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

it actually turns out that if the rear wasn't posi my suburban wouldn't even drive. the spider gears feel out when the shop took of the cover for the pumpkin. they found a rear in a junk yard and they got the gears for pretty cheap. thanks for your advice 70mopar.
Old October 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM
CF Active Member

if they found a rear at the wreckers, they should swap the whole diff. as the chances of getting an old gear set to run in it's original pattern is pretty slim-not that it won't, it's just that the gears can wreck themselves if they don't run in the same pattern after being removed and reinstalled. this may seem like more work, but if u pay for them 2 swap gears and they wreck themselves, you're gonna pay for the work 2 b done all over again. hopefully they haven't started yet, but if they did, cross your fingers and hope for the best. hopefully u don't have any more problems. now u know just how strong (or weak) your truck really is. good luck.