Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help please

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please

Hi new to the site as for posting but I'm on the site checking out all the news lots a good info here, ok the problem I'm haveing is on my wifes 1997 Suburban 1500 350 vortec 4 wheel drive 142,000 miles about 5 years back it started using antifreeze it was the intake gasket leaking I replaced the gasket & everything was good until last week the service engine light was flashing and the code was misfire #2 cyl I changed the plugs wires & r cap & r button notice that the coolant recovery tank was low added coolant to the full cold level drove it about 100 miles tank was allmost empty it runs rough when first cranked & white smoke sometimes, when first cranked it runs about 180 dg when warmed up and runs good I pulled the# 2 plug wet with coolant what should I look for cracked head blowned head gasket? At this point I don't belive it is a intake gasket. A friend told me that the 350 vortec heads in that year models was proned to crack as well as the intake gaskets leaking.
Thanks for any help.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega Wagon
Hi new to the site as for posting but I'm on the site checking out all the news lots a good info here, ok the problem I'm haveing is on my wifes 1997 Suburban 1500 350 vortec 4 wheel drive 142,000 miles about 5 years back it started using antifreeze it was the intake gasket leaking I replaced the gasket & everything was good until last week the service engine light was flashing and the code was misfire #2 cyl I changed the plugs wires & r cap & r button notice that the coolant recovery tank was low added coolant to the full cold level drove it about 100 miles tank was allmost empty it runs rough when first cranked & white smoke sometimes, when first cranked it runs about 180 dg when warmed up and runs good I pulled the# 2 plug wet with coolant what should I look for cracked head blowned head gasket? At this point I don't belive it is a intake gasket. A friend told me that the 350 vortec heads in that year models was proned to crack as well as the intake gaskets leaking.
Thanks for any help.
Yes. Has it ever gotten hot? Definatley pull heads, have them checked for cracks, replace them if needed, and gaskets.
Old July 14th, 2012, 11:38 AM
New User

No it has not run hot A guy at O'reilly auto parts told me to put Blue Devil in it, it is supposed to fix head gaskets warped heads cracked heads they say it is the best on the market, I have never belived that you can fix one of these problems with a bottle of liquid I think that would just cause other problems.
Old July 14th, 2012, 1:58 PM
CF Monarch

[QUOTE=Vega Wagon;221330]No it has not run hot A guy at O'reilly auto parts told me to put Blue Devil in it, it is supposed to fix head gaskets warped heads cracked heads they say it is the best on the market, I have never belived that you can fix one of these problems with a bottle of liquid I think that would just cause other problems.[/QUOTE]
Me niether. The white smoke is coolent in the combustion chamber, period. I'd say your going to have to pull the heads anyway. My suggestion is to have them checked for cracks in the water passages ect. since they will be off. They may be ok, and just a gasket, but have them dye penetrated or whatever.
Old July 14th, 2012, 2:25 PM
New User

Ok Thanks!!!
Old July 14th, 2012, 2:54 PM
CF Monarch

You might also closely inspect the block,
Old July 14th, 2012, 4:37 PM
New User

I will but if the Block is bad I will not fix it don't want to spend that kind of money, it should be at the # 2 cylinder where the coolant is getting in would their be a possible crack in the block, like I said I'm willing to put heads on it but that is the limit hope it is just a head gasket even though cyl 1,3,5,7 is ok since I would have the 2,4,6,8 side off would it good to replace the gasket on drivers side?
Thanks!!
Old July 15th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well...really since you'll have it all apart i guess you might as well do that side too..it only makes sense. although some will argue "if it aint broke dont fix it"
Old July 15th, 2012, 1:10 PM
New User

That's the plan if I left the drivers side alone got everything put back together I would probally have problems with it, so I will do both while I have it tore down.