Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need help w/ towing capacities of 2005 suburban 2500!!!

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2013, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"2WD / 4WD: 12000 / 5443"
Thanks SWhouston-I have been battling this for a while now, its got me so mad at Chevrolet, I am almost looking elsewhere.
It amazing how I can call Chevrolet and they can tell me its 12000# then posted in there owners manual its 7600#
Old July 22nd, 2013, 1:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jabres
"2WD / 4WD: 12000 / 5443"
Thanks SWhouston-I have been battling this for a while now, its got me so mad at Chevrolet, I am almost looking elsewhere.
It amazing how I can call Chevrolet and they can tell me its 12000# then posted in there owners manual its 7600#
HA HA jabres, welcome to the "Club of Confusion" !

You don't know how many here (nubies to some very tenured users) on this Forum, have searched, argued, called numerous sources and GM, plowed through reams of documentation, to find that there is evidence that states weights all the way from the "Pat on the butt/get out of my hair" 7000 lbs that the Dealers give, to documents which say you can tow the Rock of Gibraltar.

Now, you can...
Select one of those Documents (whichever tickles your fancy), Print it out and keep it in your Vehicle. And when/if you're pulled into a Weigh Station, produce it, and HOPE they accept it.

Or, you can...
Give the Department of Public Safety Weight Division a call for your Local/State/Route, tell them what you have, and go by what they say you can tow. Maybe a better way, since they'll be writing out the Citation if they think you're overweight. That applies to your Vehicle as well as what you got hooked up to it. That could be two tickets !

But PLEASE PLEASE consider these...

It's not how much you can Tow, but, how much you can Tow Safely.
You can probably untrack a 20,000 lb load if you want, but, what's important to you and your Family, that what you tow out, you can get back home, with everybody having had a good time. That GTW: 8100 in my signature is for Bragging Rights only. I don't feel comfortable and safe, if my GTW is very much greater than my GVW.

Also...

When selecting/replacing your Tires, be sure that you consider their Load Capability, and keep them aired in the upper range, according to their rated Maximum Cold Inflation Pressures.

Good luck and be safe and reasonable with your choices

Last edited by SWHouston; July 22nd, 2013 at 3:13 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 3:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Extremely well put SWHouston. (applaud lol)
Old July 22nd, 2013, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

my issue is I am trying to select a better tow vehicle (2500suburban) for my 7,000# loaded down travel trailer. The 7,600# would be cutting it to close, but all the higher numbers would make it towable and safe...
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

jabres,
Since you/we know exactly what you're going to be Towing, I'd definitely go with the 2500, and 7600# is well within the capability of the 3/4 Ton. The extra capability over a 1500 is very handy, since your TT will be putting about 15% of it's weight on the Tongue. Though I'm fully into 4WD's, the 2WD's are rated with higher weight Towing ability (GTW). I have no idea why GM rates them like that, since the 4WD's are heavier vehicles (item per item).

Even if you don't get a 2500 that's intentionally rigged to Tow, you can (as time permits) get some add on's/aftermarkets like...

Auto Leveling, Load Equalizing or Sway Protection, with Electric Brakes one of the first things addressed, assuming your TT has them (probably does). You can just "nibble" at the improvements, and with each, realize a higher degree of confidence about the stability and ability of your Rig.

Another thing about having a 2WD, is that if you want to try a different (possibly lower Rear End Gear) it's a lot simpler than 4WD. I've done complete rear end swaps several times. Just get um shaped up (brakes/bearings/fresh fluid) whatever's needed right there on the Shop floor, and bolt um in. A matter of hours downtime, rather than days, and at a much lower cost than a Shop gear change. Other things you might consider, are HD Cooling System, and Auxiliary Transmission Fluid Cooling.

BTW: If you drive and maintain your Rig with the same care and consideration as you have in choosing it, makes me quite proud to have participated in this dialog.

Joe In NY,
Your kind words are sincerely appreciated.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 23rd, 2013 at 1:17 AM.
Old May 31st, 2019, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Read the manual online it is free and the max is 12,000 pounds
Old May 31st, 2019, 10:33 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

maybe it wasnt free back in 2013