Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need new tires 2008 Suburban - Bridgestone Dueler H/L or Micheline LTX M/S2

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2013, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires 2008 Suburban - Bridgestone Dueler H/L or Micheline LTX M/S2

Size: P275/55R20
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza or Michelin LTX M/S2?

Time to replace the original Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza. I got about 44K miles out them.

Live in Washington D.C, and do mostly city driving and a couple of road trips/vacations each year. Deciding between the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza and the Michelin LTX M/S2. Michelin's running almost $300 more for all 4. I'm trying to decide if they are worth the extra $$$. I was going to try the Michelin's since they supposedly have a longer life but someone told me since I do mostly city driving I might get much more life out of the Michelin's. If that is the case I guess I would stick with the Bridgestone's for economic reasons. If the Michelin's are a better tire and they would last me longer it might be worth it. Is there any major difference in noise or handling in dry, rain or snow ( we get a little of it all here in D.C.). I understand the Denali's and Escalades run on the Bridgestone's too. Interested in your opinions. Thanks.

<!-- / message -->
<!-- controls -->
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

44k really? I got 80k out of mine... do you regularly rotate the tires?
I went back with the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza, rotate them at every oil change 7-9k miles
Old December 18th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, I would suggest that you use the "LT" type not the "P". P's are for passenger cars, and not "built" well enough for our heavier vehicles. One must keep in mind, that Suburbans are Trucks, not Cars, and can easily weigh near or more than 6000 pounds under normal (unloaded) driving conditions.

There are variations of your driving style, how you maintain pressures and rotations which would influence your mileage, so, I'll make some other comments which you may feel to be informative.

Running pressures which are within 10% of Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure will provide you with better mileage, and a general improvement of performance, in either of these Brands.
The Michelin Tread will provide you with a slight advantage in Wet Traction and grip in Snow.
The Bridgestone Tread will show an advantage on Icy Roads and be a quieter ride.
Both of these Treads are basically street/hiway, with the Michelin having a slight advantage for OTR use.
IF all things were equal (like Shore Hardness)(and I doubt if they are) the Bridgestones may deliver better mileage. They are just putting more rubber on the road for you to use in this particular Tread comparison.

Requirements for a Tread being "All Season" are so varied that the term is basically a misnomer, and IMHO a condition which neither of these Tread Patterns fulfil.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 18th, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Op here. I do regularly rotate them and I am always checking the tire pressure (32). I was told because my driving is mostly city they will not last as long. Is there any easy way I can tell whether I do need new tires rather than listening to the guy selling me tires?
Old December 18th, 2013, 1:21 PM
Super Moderator

HA HA HA wow, listening to a Tire Salesman is risky under any circumstances ! :biggrin:

But on what you're running now...
I would consider increasing the normal tire pressure to 42 psi.
The "new" tread depth of those was 12/32".
What is that depth now ?
How old are they (have you been running them on your ride since 2008) ?
I would be unwilling to say, that city burns tires more than hiway use, but it could, depending on your driving habits.

Take a look at this info, and that may help you decide if you need to put new tires on your ride now, or wait a while...
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=157

So, there's two things to consider...
How much are they worn down, and
How old are they.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 18th, 2013 at 1:46 PM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

SWHouston - 42psi, but the door panel says 32psi?

Come January the tires will be 5 years old.
Old December 18th, 2013, 3:50 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

I ran mine at 32-33 psi... are you seeing any cracks or signs of dry rot on the sidewalls ?
Old December 18th, 2013, 3:52 PM
Super Moderator

Yea, 32 is what it says on the door, and many use that psi, but, you're going to get better mileage and performance, if you air them up to 42psi. Lots of car mfgrs do this, because they're think that you're more interested in how your butt feels, than your pocketbook.

5yo is getting pretty close to the recommended change period (5-6 years). But, it does depend on where you live. Tires like warm dry climates, but not cold humid ones. So, if you don't see any cracks in the sidewalls, they you probably can push them longer.

What about the tread depth, how much are they worn ?

Last edited by SWHouston; December 18th, 2013 at 3:56 PM.
Old December 18th, 2013, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

no cracking in the sidewalls..some in the outer tread which I think someone referred to as ozone cracking or due to my driving habits...low mileage (avg about 7k miles a yr) and short city trips.

so P type vs LT... So my truck came from the dealer with passenger car tires?
Old December 18th, 2013, 4:26 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Theoretically you can use your tires until the tread wear bar indicator is showing. That's fine on dry, warm roads however it will get dicey when the roads are wet, snowy, or icy.

Quick Reply: Need new tires 2008 Suburban - Bridgestone Dueler H/L or Micheline LTX M/S2