Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need new tires 2008 Suburban - Bridgestone Dueler H/L or Micheline LTX M/S2

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2013, 4:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outer tread wear can be caused by driving habits (fast cornering) or, low tire pressure.

I'm reluctant to say much about your ride coming with "P" types on it, but, various Mfgrs install tires which permit reduced cost of the vehicle. Getting a well qualified tire on your ride, is up to you. "P's" fit the rim too. The "LT" construction and ability to carry loads are made for "Light Trucks", which is what we drive.

So, unless there is a lot of wear on them, I don't see any reason for them not lasting a while longer.
Old December 19th, 2013, 5:40 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the Michelin LTX's. Between new tires, new rear shocks, new struts and springs in the front and new sway bar bushing in the front, this truck drives and rides like a dream. Couldn't be happier.

With the recent snow, they also showed to be grippy too.

I'm also running the tires at 31# per tire. When I aired them higher, I would get a vibration going above 70-75mph. At the 31#, I can go as fast as the limiter and it's smooth.
Old December 19th, 2013, 9:04 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally will never buy Michelin tires, they just too expensive, but you do get what you pay for as they are a great brand of tire. Less expensive, just as good quality as Michelin tires are out there. After my original duelers needed replacement @ ~95k, I just went and got some used duelers for $75.00 per tire. I didn't measure the tread on the used tires, but they were barely driven on, pretty much new. I have bought two used sets of duelers, which I'll blame the stealership I used, who has a terrible, old, alignment machine. My camber was WAAAY out which is the cause of me having to replace my original set (which I could have gotten 120K+ miles out of, and no I'm not exaggerating, lol), and buying two more used sets. I now run Continental on my Tahoe, and they are great tires.

Since you are in D.C., just come into VA and get some used tires! lol! Ron's used tires is the place I go to. You get a 30 day warranty, and they make sure they're are no leaks before you leave. I'm not opposed to buying used tires, I was before the first time I bought used tires, but not anymore. You can save money and give these good used tires a new vehicle to be used on, YAY! lol!

Last edited by Typerod; December 19th, 2013 at 9:06 AM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 9:56 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by UNDERSCORE
At the 31#, I can go as fast as the limiter and it's smooth.
LOL Been there done that too it takes a few time to get used to it, but now I know to expect it....

What bar bushings did you install, and are they grease-able ? in this cold weather mine really scrunch loud going over speed bumps...
Old December 20th, 2013, 5:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
LOL Been there done that too it takes a few time to get used to it, but now I know to expect it....

What bar bushings did you install, and are they grease-able ? in this cold weather mine really scrunch loud going over speed bumps...
Bought stock ones and lubed them with bushing grease prior to install. No fittings.
Old December 22nd, 2013, 8:36 AM
CF Active Member

Just be glad you folks with Tahoe's and 1500 Burbs dont need 10 ply tires like i do. The Silent Armor is the quietest aggressive looking tire i have owned but any 10 ply tire rides like a steam roller!
Old December 22nd, 2013, 3:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm on my third set of Michelins on my '01 Suburban. I could have gotten more than the 75K that I did on the first two sets but didn't want to risk it going into winter in each case. And they were problem free aside from a couple of flats. But whatever you choose, make sure you get the tires that are rated for your vehicle based on performance, not price. That $300 difference you're talking about translates to about .4 cents per mile over the life if the Michelins, a small price price to pay for your safety as well as those traveling with you.
Old December 25th, 2013, 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by subfan597
I'm on my third set of Michelins on my '01 Suburban. I could have gotten more than the 75K that I did on the first two sets but didn't want to risk it going into winter in each case. And they were problem free aside from a couple of flats. But whatever you choose, make sure you get the tires that are rated for your vehicle based on performance, not price. That $300 difference you're talking about translates to about .4 cents per mile over the life if the Michelins, a small price price to pay for your safety as well as those traveling with you.
So true. Safety is always my primary concern. Over the years I have owned a lot of different tires- inexpensive tires, long life tires, used tires, etc. what I have learned from my experience is that you truly do get what you pay for.... And at best, you can only get a comprimise between Safety, Price and Lifespan.

For example, I have logged over 500,000 miles on BFG All Terrains and they usually lasted over 100k miles and had plenty of tread left when taken off. However, they were not good in heavy rains- didn't sipe well at all due to the tread pattern.

Michelin LTXs have always provided me with hi mileage life and awesome wet traction, yet we're not as good in the snow and off road for me.

I have always found the better the tire, the less problem I have had with punctures and balancing.

On the other hand, I have a family member who, on his personal vehicles, always took the less expensive path because he didn't want to "just pay for a name". Yet, on his company truck he always chose the more expensive tires, like the LTXs. He spent a lot of time working along the railroad tracks driving on the ballast. His experience on the ballast proved to him the LTXs lasted longer with less trouble. 35 years of him driving on top quality name brand tires, yet for his personal vehicles he always chooses a less expensive tire and complains about the results!

One time he put cheap tires on his 4x4 at the same time I put a set of BFG ATs on my 4x4. 17k later his needed replaced ( he bought the same tire again!) mine went 100k and still had 5/16 left on them!

It always boils down to perspective, and how much you have in your pocket at the time. Whatever you do, don't forget safety.

Just my .02
Old December 26th, 2013, 12:43 AM
Super Moderator

I look at tires like an Insurance Policy.

You want good coverage, or, settle for a liability.
Old December 28th, 2013, 9:51 AM
CF Beginner

I replaced General Grabbers (worst tires I ever had) with Michelin MS2's on a 2003 Liberty Renegade (P), a 2004 Chevy Tahoe (LT) and a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 (LT).
Best tires ever, smooth ride, great traction (dry, wet, snow, mud). They wear like iron. 20,000 miles on the Liberty and the Michelins look like new. 15000 miles on the Silverado and same like new look. 42,000 miles on the Tahoe and they look like they will do 80,000 miles. Well worth the higher price. Woule never buy any other tire.

Quick Reply: Need new tires 2008 Suburban - Bridgestone Dueler H/L or Micheline LTX M/S2