Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need to upgrade my Gmc Suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2012, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to upgrade my Gmc Suburban

Hey all I am new to this site and I have two suburbans both made by GMC. One is a 1997 which was wrecked in a head on collision luckly the engine still is running. The other is 1999. Both have a 5.7L automatic transmission. The 99 I want to put barn doors on because the hydraulics keep going bad with this fine dirt I live around. Also I am going to get rid of both if the 99 has no way of towing my boat. I have tried and it just won't do it. My boat is way to big for it. It needs to be upgraded to a 3/4 ton but I don't want to change the whole axle. I have put almost $2500 into just fashion stuff and now it won't pull my boat. If I can't do the barn doors I can live with it but the boat pulling needs to be available. I can pull the boat behind my daughter's 1991 Ford F150 but it has a 3/4 ton axle behind it. I am really wanting to keep this since I traded my 1999 Ford Excursion for it. Both the suburbans are 4x4 and the F150 too.
Thanks in advance,
Trav
Old January 6th, 2012, 7:10 PM
CF Active Member

Did the "fashion stuff" include bigger tires? I found mine to be gutless with stock tires and the rediculous gear ratio it came with.
Old January 6th, 2012, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BW56
Did the "fashion stuff" include bigger tires? I found mine to be gutless with stock tires and the rediculous gear ratio it came with.
I am running 17 in wheels but the tires fit under just fine they are the same as a new 17 inch suburban tire.
Old January 6th, 2012, 9:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How big is the boat? I have had 2 Tahoes and never had a problem towing my old boat or my current one.
Old January 7th, 2012, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

the boat is a 38 foot boat it is big for the family.
Old January 7th, 2012, 10:24 PM
CF Active Member

Its a boat up to 25' after that its a BOAT....
Old January 8th, 2012, 3:27 AM
CF Beginner

yay well this is my other boat for my whole entire family my brothers and sister and thier family. I haul the boat they get the food and other stuff.
Trav
Old January 8th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a lot of boat for any truck. Really should have a diesel 3500 for a boat that big.
Old January 9th, 2012, 3:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
That is a lot of boat for any truck. Really should have a diesel 3500 for a boat that big.
I can pull the boat behind my daughter's 1991 Ford F150 but it has a 3/4 ton axle behind it
I don't get this I can pull it with a Ford F150 and it only lowered 5 inches. I have been using a F350 triton V10 4x4 crew cab lately. It is light I just need to figure out how to upgrade the rear end to a 3/4 ton at least without replacing the whole rear end. I am almost looking at trading this in for a brand new 2012 Ford Expedition EL King Ranch 4x4 which I know can pull it since my brother has one and it can pull it. Don't get me wrong I love this suburban but I have to be able to pull the boat. The Suburban pulls my 2012 38 foot travel trailer just fine but throw the boat on the truck theres no way. Whats wierd is that it can do it with the travel trailer and the boat behind the travel trailer. It's just I don't want to always pull the travel trailer everytime I pull the boat to the beach with my brothers and all. My main thing is if I could possibly run an air bag suspension on it then I should be fine. Oh ya and I found out the tire size is 245/75R17 tires and I have been running them for 3 years no problems. I haven't gotten any responses about putting the barn doors on this Suburban either.
Trav
Old January 9th, 2012, 6:35 AM
CF Junior Member

What is the tongue weight and the total weight of the trailer? Figure those out, then look in the door jamb for the load rating of the truck.

There are safety guidelines that these trucks were built to, and to over load it can do severe damage. Not only that, but you could hurt yourself or others. Add to that the fact that it's against the law to drive on the highways overloaded...you could get a ticket.

Quick Reply: Need to upgrade my Gmc Suburban