Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Need to upgrade my Gmc Suburban

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2012, 6:52 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Are you saying that you can pull both together but not the boat by itself? What happens when pulling just the boat that indicates the truck can't handle it?
Old January 9th, 2012, 8:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you are saying if you put the travel trailer and the boat on you can pull it. 76 feet 38 foot boat and 38 foot trailer.
Old January 10th, 2012, 5:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
So you are saying if you put the travel trailer and the boat on you can pull it. 76 feet 38 foot boat and 38 foot trailer.
Yes because the boat is tounge heavy. If I put the boat onto the travel trailer it puts all that tounge weight into the travel trailer. The 5.7L is plenty cabable of it just the rear end wont keep the heigh enough for it to be safe. The boat weighs 4,000 LBS and it says 5,000 LBS tounge weight. My F350 says 10,000 LBS and my daughter's F150 6,000 LBS yet I can't read it on the Suburban because it is all faded out. A new Expedition EL will have easily 6,000 LBS GVRW. Maybe is there a way that I could figure out if my rear suspension is blown if the suburban should be able to pull this. I think we are going to just end up selling both suburbans in a package deal. We already traded in the 1981 C10 of my son's in this afternoon for a 2012 Ford F250 regular cab 4x4 long bed diesel. If I sell the two suburbans at a good enough price I can use it as a down payment on a King Ranch Expedition. Sorry guys just need a truck that is big enough to tow my boat and big enough to haul my family.
Trav
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

If the boat weighs two tons, how does the tongue weight get to be 2.5 tons?

I thought tongue weight was supposed to be about 10% of the gross weight.
Old January 10th, 2012, 7:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say I do not believe much of this at all. 1 no way he is towing 76 feet total. 2 that 76 feet is double hitched. 3 I doubt it is legal anywhere. 4 Unless this 38 foot boat is empty no interior etc.. it will not tow good behind anything. I have a friend with a 29ft Baja Outlaw with twin super charge 502, he had to buy a diesel to tow it. Yes his regular truck would barely pull it but the trans overheated and it was killing the truck. 5 I would be surprised if any 38 foot boat had a beam (width)of 8.5 feet or less which is the largest legal limit to tow on a public road with out a permit and a wide load sign. Sorry do not mean to offend but none of this story makes any sense. Hey if I am wrong lets see some pictures of the truck with the trailer hooked to it with the boat hooked to that.
Old January 11th, 2012, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
I have to say I do not believe much of this at all. 1 no way he is towing 76 feet total. 2 that 76 feet is double hitched. 3 I doubt it is legal anywhere. 4 Unless this 38 foot boat is empty no interior etc.. it will not tow good behind anything. I have a friend with a 29ft Baja Outlaw with twin super charge 502, he had to buy a diesel to tow it. Yes his regular truck would barely pull it but the trans overheated and it was killing the truck. 5 I would be surprised if any 38 foot boat had a beam (width)of 8.5 feet or less which is the largest legal limit to tow on a public road with out a permit and a wide load sign. Sorry do not mean to offend but none of this story makes any sense. Hey if I am wrong lets see some pictures of the truck with the trailer hooked to it with the boat hooked to that.
I don't have any pics and won't be able to get any I traded the suburban in and sold the wrecked one for a 2002 Ford Excursion 4x4 with the 6.8L Triton V10. So sorry if you don't believe me but thats to bad. I did what I could nobody gave me any ideas so I got rid of it. My family comes before my trucks and if my family can't relax in a boat because that truck won't pull it then that truck is going.
Trav