Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

need wiring schematics for airbag module under drivers seat...

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2008, 7:23 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: need wiring schematics for airbag module under drivers seat...

If its the data wire you're after There area couplesplice packs that have data wires in them for the vehicle.
sp200(CKT 5060) Upper left corner of the I/P, near the parking brake assembly
sp300(CKT 5060) At the base of the driver side B-pillar, behind the trim panel

SP300 has the wire directly from the SDM(airbag module), and from the looks of it, its not in the dash area at all.

Is the airbag light on? Can you have the codes scanned? will it vehicle communicate with the scanner?
Old November 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my thoughts would be that it has something to do with the sp200. I think that because The dash is the only thing I have changed and when changing the dash I had two harnesses on the drivers side kick panel that were changed but reconnected again and likewise on the passenger side.. My airbag light IS on. I probably could have the codes scanned, I remember my tech telling me that there was no communication with the module to the BCM and the reason for that being is because there is one plug from the new dash that plugs into the original plug from the car and even though it fits perfectly the data cables probably dont match. I had to do the same thing under the fuse box in the engine for a harness that was a different size and the car wouldnt start. That harness had many data cable that ran to the engine control module thta needed to be connected. The tech said I would need to do the same prcess for the airbag module. It makes sense that the module is not communicating cause as I said earlier the indicator at the top center console is not reading when a passenger is sitting down therefore not turning on the passenger airbag.
Old November 27th, 2008, 2:53 PM
Banned

Ok now we're getting somewhere

The passenger presence system module is under the passenger seat. You need to access the module and test the wires in the connector. You'll need to use a DVOM for this next part, to see which circuit is not working properly.

Pin 1 Red\white - B+
Pin 5 black\white - ground
Pin 17 dark green - data

The red\white wire goes through the junction blocknear the driversleft foot. The top left pin in the top left connector is the wire for that module. Its pin 7 connector x11. It connects to a red\white wire in the same spot on the backside of that junction block. It is connectorX1 pin A1

The ground is grounded under the seat.

And the data wire goes to sp300 just like the SDM. the splice pack(sp300) piggy backs off of sp200. if there was a problem between those two splice packs your back-up sonsors, rear heated seat, keyless, memory seat module, front heated seat and power liftgate all would not work.
A quick easy way to test to see if it is hooked up, is to check for little to no resistance between the connector at the passenger presence system(PPS) module, and the DLC pin 1. Or if your DVOM has the audible option, where it beeps when there is contiinuity, use that function to test the circuit integrity. If you don't have a DVOM, you can usually find a cheap one for around $20.

The PPS module is shown below.... it is marked as #9. If you can't get to the module, you may be able to test the wires at the connector down there. try to trace the wires to see if they go to the PPS module. If so, the wire colors should all match up

Old November 27th, 2008, 4:22 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks for the input, I read your post a few times to try and absorb all the information. Here is also a question I have for you. RIGHT NOW I have the factory cloth seats in the front with power up/down/forward/back and manual recliner. I am putting in leather seats this week from a LTZ that are power everything and are heated. Do they use the same connections? I'm asking because I also installed new door panels with the heated seat and memory position buttons. Also I do want to note that I HAVE NOT changed the wiring harness that runs along the floor (under the carpet). SO from the kick panel to my seats and rear seats and components it is the same wiring harness. You mentioned that I might not have some functions working such as backup sensors, power liftgate, heated front and rear seats, etc. but I dont havr those functions anyways so I wouldnt know if they were working or not.
I would think (and Im probably wrong) that if I were to check continuity it would be somewhere in the drivers kick where the new harness from the new dash connects? I say this because right now my seats are functioning right they go up and down back and forth. I checked the plug where the seat plugs into to get its power and there is power and ground. Both sides of the connector seems to be connected with same colors on both sides. Obviously I only checked the red/white and black wires cause I knew what they were I wasnt aware of which cables were data.
Old November 28th, 2008, 9:03 AM
CF Active Member

I decided to remove my drivers seat and see what I can find. I found the splice packs you were talking about under the drivers side I/P and in the B-Pillar. I see some red/white cables going to the module unders the drivers seat and going to the opposite side that had no power, i'm wondering if they lack power. I followed the cables all the way to the junction box in the drivers kick panel, where it has a plastic cover. They go to a grey plug at the top left. Im thinking the module is not getting power. What do you think?

UPDATE: I gave power to two cables (red/white) that went to the module under drivers seat and the other to the passenger seat occupant module (because I realized it WAS NOT getting power). AFter powering them , the airbag light on the dash still stays on but when someone sits in the passenger seat the indicator on the top center console does move (shows airbag on). BUT after a while, the ON light starts flashing and stops flashing once the person gets off the seat. Im not sure if this has anything to do with it but the seat belt indicator for the passenger side doesnt turn on but I'm thinking that maybe the car has to be in motion first. What do you think about this?
Old December 3rd, 2008, 7:47 PM
Banned

ok sorry for the delay man.....have you gotten anywhere on this project lately?

You mentioned checking the wires under the drivers seat....you need to check those connectors i mentioned under the passenger seat. And also not the wires going to the power seat switches, but rather the wires going to the passenger presence module

I'm pretty sure that the wiring will be different between the seats and door skins
Old December 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
CF Active Member

well, it got a little more complicated, actually way more complicated. Today arrived my new seats. Leather form a LTZ complete with power everything included heat, The harness is COMPLETELY different and significantly larger. I ended up just throwing power and ground and tapping into to the harness just to be able to move the seat back and forth. There must be at least 3 times as many cables in the new harness coming from the new seats. I would imagine the best think to do is buy the whole new wiring harness for the whoel floor plan of the car. Unless you can think of a easier option for me? Also I wanted to check that signal (dk. green) wire you told me about at the PPS but it is pretty difficult to get to the module itself, its riveted into the plate. The green cable is in the harness at the bottom that you disconnect when removing the seat. I am "ASSUMING" (and i know its not good to assume" that there is some signal going through it cause as I mentioned the indicator on the roof console is switching from off to on. I'm just curious about why it blinks after a few seconds.

No worries on the delay I understand you are busy, you are helping me more than enough just with your input, thanks.
Old December 4th, 2008, 7:00 PM
Banned

Are they heated and cooled seats?...or just heated?
I'm thinking it might be easier to just go buy an LTZ! haha

I can get you a bunch of diagrams If you want to try and tackle it, otherwise a new body harness would entail gutting the truck to install
Old December 4th, 2008, 9:44 PM
CF Active Member

im pretty sure they are just heated. i dont mind gutting the interior.....again! lol but I feel like I might have to because the harness has sooooo many extra cables! unless i wouldnt have the heated and memory seats work and only the airbag part. What do you think about the whole PPS and indicator issue?
Old December 5th, 2008, 2:25 PM
Banned

Now that you are getting some life out of the pps sysetm, I would take it in to your buddy when you can and see if he can now communicate with the airbag module to pull some codes to see what is wrong...might give you a good place to start looking. Also might just be a matter of reprogramming the system with the new parts you've installed

Quick Reply: need wiring schematics for airbag module under drivers seat...