Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Nessesary Service or Just Trying to make a Buck?!?!

Search this Thread

Old October 24th, 2012, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nessesary Service or Just Trying to make a Buck?!?!

Hello all,

I recently went into a "Chain Service Shop" to get a deal on some tires buy 2 get 2 for free w/an alignment and tires balance not included w/the price. While there they tried to sell me a break flush service, a power steering service flush, and an injector service on my 2007 Tahoe w/60500 miles (approx) at the time. They did get me on the upper ball joint/Upper control arm because of the alignment, but I declined the other stuff. My question is was that required or where they trying to make some more money from me. Also What would be the appropriate service time/miles for those items?
Old October 24th, 2012, 5:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Brake fluid is very hydroscopic; so some people like to change it out when it turns dark and 5years is an approximate time. Would you notice the difference, probably not. Would it prevent dirt from being pushed back into the abs pump or internal rusting of the lines, I don't know.

injector service would probably be the most valuable of the three services. If you have a returnless fuel system, the dead end leg of the fuel rail acts like a sewer (crudd does get by the filter) and can clogg the last injector in the loop.
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The owner's manual has recommended service intervals for the various systems on your truck.
Old October 24th, 2012, 4:43 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

My wife always gets hit up for those same services
I have always told her to tell them No... and she has

If you bleed your brakes that is flushing the system...

As for the power steering, seems like you could just siphon out as much as possible and refill, run it, siphon and refill and that should get it....

Be very careful with brake fluid as it will ruin any painted surfaces...

As for injector service, I have never ever even seen any debris in the gas tank(s) of vehicles I have had to replace fuel pumps on. ( I'm sure it happens but I have not seen it) that said, if the filter stops it then the only thing you should worry about with injectors is varnish build up, regular fuel treatment additives and quality fuel should get you through 100k miles, at that time you might even consider replacing the injectors.. Its what I did on the wife's mini van and it wasn't that expensive nor difficult...
Old October 25th, 2012, 8:39 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> dab7547,

"73shark" offers great advice for the recommended maintenance schedule. Please check your owner's manual, starting on page 550. For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...olet-Tahoe.pdf. Refer to pages 566 to 586 of the digital manual.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 25th, 2012, 2:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread from another board shows how to do the power steering w/hydroboost flush, doing all of the work from above. I did it on my Avalanche, it worked great.

Power Steering/Hydro-Boost Flush
Old October 25th, 2012, 4:10 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The owners manual says nothing about servicing the power steering or brake fluid, only to top it off it its low....
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd check the owners manual and nothing says anything about service other than talking of the brake fluid which is pointless.