Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New a/c condenser question

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2016, 6:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Cleveland! I'm about to call the collision place and see if theyre finally open after this storm, this morning.
Old January 26th, 2016, 9:06 AM
CF Senior Member

Just got to work from the collision place. The lead tech couldn't find any leak or signs of leaks. Had the car running for almost half and hour, with the heat blasting. I showed him pics of the low coolant level. He is in agreement with me that there is an issue, but he thinks it could be a maintenance issue, and nothing from the accident. Like possibly a heater core leak or headgasket issue. But there aren't any wet spots on the floor suggesting a heater core leak, he also said he didn't smell any coolant in the car while it was running.

While he had the car running, the coolant was just a tad bit up above the max line. He said it was b/c the engine is running and since it under pressure it will rise up. Is that true? I feel like if the fluid is low and the system is pressurized, that it would still remain low, but I'm not knowledgeable about this.

Thanks for any info!
Old January 26th, 2016, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it would have nothing to do with pressure but the fluid will expand some with heat, I don't know many techs that check coolant leaks by letting it idle in the corner but in theory I guess it should still show signs. Has the level been low more than once? my opinion would be it needs an actual pressure test done

Heater cores generally you would smell or see wet carpet, possibly coolant coming from the evaporator drain- if you really want to check for head gaskets the simplest way would be to drain an oil sample and make sure its not brown/milky looking or get a combustion gas tester to use on your surge tank they're simple to use and you can find them fairly inexpensive
Old January 27th, 2016, 10:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
it would have nothing to do with pressure but the fluid will expand some with heat, I don't know many techs that check coolant leaks by letting it idle in the corner but in theory I guess it should still show signs. Has the level been low more than once? my opinion would be it needs an actual pressure test done

Heater cores generally you would smell or see wet carpet, possibly coolant coming from the evaporator drain- if you really want to check for head gaskets the simplest way would be to drain an oil sample and make sure its not brown/milky looking or get a combustion gas tester to use on your surge tank they're simple to use and you can find them fairly inexpensive
I have seen the level low more than once, but I have never had to add coolant. Oil have never been milky at all ever. I will go get a combustion gas tester and test it myself. I have an appt. at the dealer this friday to get the lower transmission oil cooler line replaced and to do a coolant flush. I will they pressure test before they flush the coolant. Thanks again for your help and input!
Old January 29th, 2016, 1:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Just an update, so had the appt. today at dealer. Pressure test was done, cost me $59.00, and the tech said there is no leak at all. It held pressure just fine. And the steam that I saw was just probably something that got on the radiator or condenser during the repair. Well, I'm relieved to know that theres no leak, OCD down to zero. lol. But high blood pressure went up a few points, as my entire trip to dealer today cost me ~$728.00! I had the lower trans cooler line replaced, brought the part in myself, they charged about $178 for labor on that. Then the coolant flush was about $158.00. And I also had the power steering pressure line replaced, I bought the part from the dealer, it was a last minute add on (it had been leaking for years). Power steering line was $115; labor was $178 for that as well. I can't remember what the hour labor rate was.

Also was told both my front axle seals are leaking, ahhhh! And it would be about $300 per side. That would have to wait for sure...

Thanks again to all who have suggested or helped me out in this thread!
Old January 29th, 2016, 1:48 PM
CF Veteran

labor can add up quick, i'm lucky enough that I'm able to do all my own repairs but I can't dodge parts costs
Old January 30th, 2016, 4:37 PM
CF Senior Member

labor can add up quick, i'm lucky enough that I'm able to do all my own repairs but I can't dodge parts costs
Yes sir it does add up very quickly! lol! You're blessed to be able to do your own repairs. I'm very limited, lol.
Old January 31st, 2016, 6:54 PM
CF Veteran

guess it all comes out in the end...I have student loans and tool debt i'll be paying for a long time
Old February 1st, 2016, 4:43 PM
CF Senior Member

guess it all comes out in the end...I have student loans and tool debt i'll be paying for a long time
I hear ya on that my friend. I have credit card debt out the wazoo. lol