Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New guy looking for answers

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy looking for answers

Hello all,
I've been browsing the forum here for some info. Here's my story.

Coworker has 2007 Suburban for sale. It's got almost 80K on it, has the 5.3. I'm thinking of buying it. It's very well maintained, 9 out of 10. The only issue he's had that hasn't been addressed is the dreaded excessive oil consumption. He figures about a quart every 3-4000 miles.

I've done a lot of reading about this problem and the procedures for getting the dealer to fix the problem. My question is has anyone NOT had the GM fix and just ran the truck, keeping up on adding oil? Are there any long term problems people have had with this issue by not having the dealer correct the problems? Any long term problems with the top end?

How has your reliability been over 120,000 miles or more? If I do buy it, I'd like to keep it for at least 5 years.

Thanks very much
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't consider one quart every 3-4 Kmi to be excessive, though you probably could use that, to get it a little cheaper...
Old May 6th, 2013, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

My 07 Avalanche is about the same usage with 92,000 miles. I look at it this way, it reminds me to check the oil every so often. It has a message that comes on when you are a quart low, so I don't really see it as a big deal, it means a fresh quart between oil changes.
Old May 6th, 2013, 6:58 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't trust motors that don't use some oil... a quart in that mileage is acceptable.
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Ive got an 04 Tahoe with 168,500 on it. I don't have to add anything between oil changes. Although I do change mine every 3000. And I drive my Hoe into the dirt like the filthy little Tahoe she is.
Old May 7th, 2013, 1:07 PM
CF Junior Member

First post.

That isn't that bad but honestly, no motor should go through anything but a miniscule amount of oil.

I just bought an 07' with a 5.3 so I guess I'll find out what the big deal is.
Old May 7th, 2013, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sepedajh
Ive got an 04 Tahoe with 168,500 on it. I don't have to add anything between oil changes. Although I do change mine every 3000. And I drive my Hoe into the dirt like the filthy little Tahoe she is.
HA HA HA so true !
That's why I quit doing Mud, takes forever to get your ride cleaned up !

PS:
The grass strips along side my Driveway are about 2" higher than the rest of the yard, because of all that dirt I've washed off my Burb.
Old May 7th, 2013, 4:45 PM
CF Junior Member

OP, I have a 2000 suburban with the 5.3. One of the best vehicles i've ever owned. I've had very few problems and am currently at 170K.
Old May 7th, 2013, 5:33 PM
CF Senior Member

I've got 126K on my burb, drinks a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so. I use Full Synthetic, I use Mobil 1 and Valvoline. Thats it. Did a fresh oil change, Left from NY went to Daytona Beach, FL. Shortly after arriving needed a quart. Came back, 3 weeks later, needs another quart. Oh well.
I "had" the dreaded AFM lifter tick/squeak. It started at 96K. And 30K later, their is only a slight squeak still, and not all the time. Also keeping out my eye on the oil pressure but its 60 cold and 35 hot, so thats still fine...
Haven't been to the dealer or shop since I bought it from a friend back in Feb of 2009 when the burb only had 50K on it.
I have a LIST of all things I've worked on this thing. Oh man these cars aren't meant to last....
Old May 8th, 2013, 7:54 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the responses. I'm really interested in 07 and later with the AFM. That's what's making me concerned about buying this truck.

Quick Reply: New guy looking for answers