Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New member with new to me truck, have questions

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2014, 9:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with new to me truck, have questions

My old ride an 03 windstar died on me a couple weeks ago. First gear gave out over two hours from home going on a trip. I borrowed my buddies 08 burban and it drove great and towed a small trailer like it wasn't even there. So I picked up a 01 burban 1500 polo sport edition for $6k with 117k miles on it. Its in fairly good condition but there are a bunch of little things missing or broken. The past owner had a remote starter/security with keyless entry on it and it was malfunctioning. It wouldn't remote start. It engaged the starter for a split second and shut off and then would keep trying without success. It would also lock itself with the keys in the ignition. There was no door key either. So I ordered up a door lock kit and put it in and removed the remote starer. Now when I look up key fobs it stats that there are two designs in 01. Even the dealer can't tell me if it has a first or second design receiver. Dealer says it lists both designs. This must mean they are interchangeable right?
The cassette player unit has missing plastic. I have no need for the player. I read somewhere that the dealer offers a delete plate/cubby to go in place. Dealer said they can't find a listing for it. Does anyone have a part #?
My fuel gauge is erratic and my oil pressure gauge vibrates. Who would you recommend to rebuild my cluster?
The past owner said to run 93. The ses light came on after I filled up with 87. Bank 2 knock sensor low input. I have read that these engines are prone to carbon buildup. Will seafoam on a low tank do the trick in knocking the carbon out?
I plan on towing up to 4000 pounds. Besides an aftermarket trans cooler any other recommendations on keeping the trans healthy?
My power mirrors are inoperative. I'm really not sure how I can test them. I think its the switch though. When I push real hard on the switch I can get the drivers mirror to move in one direction. Nothing on the passenger side though. Are switch failures common?
I appreciate any input on these issues and thank you for your time.
The forums are the best way to learn about a vehicle.