Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New member....with a question....

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2009, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member....with a question....

Hey, just picked up a 95 Suburban 5.7 w/185,000 miles....I'm gonna change the oil, and just wanted to get an idea of what folks are using in higher milage engines...I know the factory says 5w30 is preferred, but with the miles it has, I feel that 5/30 is a little thin...any thoughts???
Old September 7th, 2009, 5:47 PM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by burban5.7
Hey, just picked up a 95 Suburban 5.7 w/185,000 miles....I'm gonna change the oil, and just wanted to get an idea of what folks are using in higher milage engines...I know the factory says 5w30 is preferred, but with the miles it has, I feel that 5/30 is a little thin...any thoughts???

welcome burban5.7

well i have never bought any special high mileage oil's for my trucks but i used to put 20w50 in them though,i thought it was helping but i never could tell any difference when running others 10w30.....mobil1 makes a high mileage product in different weights and i think so does castro....5w30 does seem a little thin for it though....have you posted any pics for us to look @?
Old September 7th, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

soon....I got it for (what I think anyhow) a song, but it does need some work...windshield, 4 tires, blower resistor, muffler & tailpipe, but is overall VERY solid...unlike it's predecessor (90 Bronco). Working in a Toyota parts dept helps w/prices on the parts, though...back to the subject, I guess I'll use a high-milage oil, 10w30, w/a PF52 filter....I'm a firm believer in OE filters....
Old September 7th, 2009, 7:19 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What area do you live in? The upcoming winter weather may be a factor in the weight of oil I would chose.
Old September 7th, 2009, 7:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is always best to put in what the manufacture recommends. At work we never change the oil based on age/ mileage unless the customer asks. The engine was built with clearances for 5-30 and will last longest if you use it. As you increase the thickness of the oil you maybe increasing pressure but you are decreasing volume. It is similar to putting you thumb over the end of a garden hose.

http://www.goss-garage.com/node/151
Old September 7th, 2009, 7:48 PM
CF Beginner

that being said, I guess a high-milage 5w30 would be OK....when did GM tighten up these engines to run 5/30 though??
Old September 7th, 2009, 9:19 PM
CF Active Member

WELCOME !
Rule of thumb for me would have to consist of these factors . personal preferance, product satisfacton, vehicle application and geographic location, maintance frequentcy's and overall condition of vehicle, youwill hear a hundred differant answers from a hundred differant all based on these and that would make them all right for that individuls needs. i use synthetics for there lubricating abilities lower breakdown in viscoditys and the requirements i place on my rigs' catch the sales to soften the blow a bit and pay attention to my performance and mpg. but also ran non-synthetic quality lubes with sucsess!the point is keep it clean,keep it changed, and keep it regular and imploy maintance modivated actions. i.e if you know its cold outside and you have to be exposed to the conditions fora long and extented period, you grab a coat to protect yourself, So it should be with your engine if you are going on a long trip it makes sence to protect it and change the oil to provide the standard of lubrication required and the piece of mind that you have provided that ! it really is a personal thing between you and your ride ! sorry if i didnt give you much, read the product specs. use these methods and go from there

Last edited by tm4hammer; September 7th, 2009 at 9:30 PM.