Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New member with Suburban questions

Search this Thread

Old April 12th, 2008, 12:39 PM
JLB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with Suburban questions

Hi guys. This is my first post on the forum here. I'm a hobby wrench turner, mainly working on Hondas I've owned, and a supercharged Miata that's my little money pit. I would say my knowledge is just high enough to attempt things that cost me major bucks after I screw them up, although I did replace the entire AC system in my wife's Honda Civic, from soup to nuts, so I have my moments.

I have owned, since new, a 2001 Suburban LT Autoride, 2WD, with the 5.3 liter engine. I have done a few oil changes on it myself, and changed a flat or two, but other than that I haven't messed with it at all. The problems I have had over the last 7 years are a replacement of the ABS module, replacement of the AC belt tension arm, which I did myself, a leaky window washer resevoir (bought the part, never put it on) and that's about it. It's now over 100k, and I'm getting some problems popping up.

These include:

AC making a screeching noise from time to time. I thought it was the belt tension arm, as the spring was broken, but it's an intermittent problem. Some people tell me it's the compressor bearings.

Voltage meter and RPMs fluctuating at idle, and the vehicle will stall out on occasion when making a slow tight turn, loading the power steering pump (my guess), or when coasting into a parking lot while making a turn. I've gotten some advice from a friend who is a master tech, but he's 600 miles away and cannot see the car. He says it may be the front O2 sensors needing replacement, or that the intake manifold gasket may need replacing. He sent me detailed instructions on replacing thegasket, and it doesn't look like something I want to attempt on my own. I'm also wondering, from my experience working on my Miata, if the MAP or MAF sensor may be clogged, whichever this uses.

Before I start tackling the other stuff, I'm trying to replace the plugs, and I am stumped by the aluminum sleeves that bar access to the plugs themselves. Do they screw off, or do I need to use more muscle? The owner's manual doesn't even mention how to remove the plugs, so I'm stuck here.

Next I will be replacing both O2 sensors, so the location of those would be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

JLB

Before taking
Old April 12th, 2008, 2:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: New member with Suburban questions

Twist the spark plug boot 1/2 turn. Pull boot off the spark plug.
Old April 12th, 2008, 3:22 PM
JLB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: RonH

Twist the spark plug boot 1/2 turn. Pull boot off the spark plug.
Thanks.

I found out that brute force and cursing is also a veryeffective method. I wish I would have used your way.
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Front O2's should be located in the exhaust just infront of the cats.These control fuelling...along with MAF and MAP.
Rear O2's only check emissions.
If you need to replace the intake manifold gaskets...it really is no big deal.
Old April 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Assuming a good fuel pump, clean fuel filter and no Diagnostic Traouble Codes:
Check the fuel pressure regulator, if the Suburban has many miles (75K+) then it is likely bad, the regulator is inexpenxive and takes only 30 seconds to replace, this is one of the #1 causes for light-load engine stalling and rough idle on the 5.3L.

Normally a faulty O2, or MAF sensor will trigger a DTC code or at the very least you will experience some other drivabilty issues such as poor engine performance and very bad fuel economy. I have also seen many MAF sensors replaced when it was actually just a faulty MAP sensor causing the problem.

A leaky intake manifold gasket could be the culprit but this also normally trigger many DTC's.