Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

New Owner: Where do I start? What do I check?

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2013, 4:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Owner: Where do I start? What do I check?

Hi all,
So I am the happy new owner of a 1994 Suburban 1500 4WD w 172,000 miles.
I am of course going to change the oil and filter but I would really like to know what to inspect more closely.

Any problematic areas I should look at?
Preventative maintenance?
Recommended modifications? (not for speed but for dependability)
Instructions on performing various system checks on engine or drivetrain components?

I also have 1994 Silverado Diesel and on those there are all kinds of things you need to do and know in order to have a reliable vehicle (PMD, OPS etc...)

I want to feel confident that my new gasoline vehicle will not die when battling the long hills between Oregon and California. Cooling System checklist?

Thanks in advance, it's been a while since I had a gasoline powered vehicle so I am excited to jump in!

Dan
Old June 8th, 2013, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings danriis welcome to the Forum.

Given that looks can be deceiving, at that age and mileage, you really need to get around to everything...as time/$ permit.

Transmission and Filter, Transfer Case and both Differentials probably need a Fluid Change.
Cooling System Flush with close inspection of all Hoses.
General Chassis Lubrication.
Inspection of Brake Pad thickness, and condition of Rotors.
You might do a Load Check on the Battery, clean Terminals and check Cables, including cleaning/brushing the various Ground Connections.

Often times when one gets rid of a vehicle, they may put just about any type Tire on it, to get it out the door. Frequently Passenger Car Tires are used on our Burbs for that reason.
Remember that a Suburban is a VERY heavy Vehicle, and should be treated just like a Truck, including using LT type Tires, which should be sized and load rated appropriately for your Vehicle. The replacement of tires before a sale, may cover up the need for Alignment, so that should be considered as well.

Beyond these general Maintenance procedures, you should "test" the engagement of the 4WD Hi and Lo and other ancillary systems for their operation, and your familiarity of using them correctly when necessary.

Last edited by SWHouston; June 8th, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old June 8th, 2013, 2:16 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you SW. I appreciate it and will be delving in shortly on the things I can do myself.
I found a good local mechanic for some of the other stuff also.
Are there any modifications for better gas mileage or reliability that many/most people perform? I guess I'm so used to the quirky 6.5 diesel I just can't believe I don't have to make any changes :-)
Big thanks,
Dan
Old June 8th, 2013, 2:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,

There are several standard things which can effect your mileage. Plugs and Wires, clean/replace Injectors, O2 Sensor (possibly Knock Sensors) not sure if your year has those, but just a general Tune up will give you something.

That's a fair expense to just start throwing parts on your ride, which may not make much difference, other than the satisfaction of knowing that stuff was fresh and dependable. You should also take a good look at your Belt and Hoses.

Some have installed Performance Chips and realized better mileage, BUT, that's just some.

So, the sky's the limit on what all you want to bring up to speed. I've done the same things when I bought my 03 (used). It's taken me a couple years to plod through all of it, but, I did. Some things helped, some didn't, but I have the satisfaction of knowing it's been done and in good shape.

Some of the first things I addressed were...
Will it Start ? Battery
Will it Stop ? Brakes
Will it Drive ? Tires

Last edited by SWHouston; June 8th, 2013 at 3:14 PM.
Old June 8th, 2013, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks again SW!!

Dan