Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie with a question

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2007, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with a question

So, today I became a first time every Chevy owner and drove my 2002 Tahoe LT home just now. It helped that Edmunds rates the Tahoe as a recommended buy for a used vehicle, and the fact that a good friend of mine has been driving the same Suburban through his and my son's Scouting career, hauling Scouts and Scout stuff all over Colorado. I'm looking forward to many enjoyable years with my new/used Tahoe.

The dealer of course is pushing an extended warranty. It has 82K miles on it, and if it's anything like my 4Runner, which my son now drives, I should not expect any serious problems for quite a while. So, is the extended warranty worth the $1700 the dealer wants to hit me up for? It's through Western General, and appears to be fairly comprehensive. I bought the Tahoe since we're planning on buying a travel trailer next year and will be doing some towing with it.

What is the collective wisdom of the forum? Should I buy or take my chances?

Thanks!

John

Old August 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts
Default RE: Newbie with a question

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum. It depends on how long you plan to keep it, previous owner maintenance, how long & how many miles the warranty is good for. If you decide to go for it, offer him something less than $1,700. My experience with extended warranties is that the price is very negotiable. Also check the company that it's with to make sure they'll be around when you need them.