Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie question, push-button 4x4

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2017, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question, push-button 4x4

I just got a '99 2500 Burban, and it has the 4 rectangular buttons to the right of the steering wheel ~ push-button 4x4. I got it specifically to tow my boat (~3750 lbs+) and I had a question:

Do I push the 4x4 button while driving or when stopped? Should I only use the 4x4 when I really need it, or is it okay to have it on as often as I want?

I'm a Jeep guy who's had his fair share of tranny issues, and I want to avoid that with my Suburban. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old January 11th, 2017, 2:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To engage 4x4 High, you can do it while driving as long as you are at a slow speed around 25 mph or below. Or you can just come to a stop and push the button, either works. BUT if you are engaging 4x4 Low, you must come to a stop and put it in park before pushing the button!

When using 4WD, it's always good to engage it at least a few times a month just to keep things moving like the joints and actuator. With that said though, it isn't good to keep it on all the time. You would also notice a loss in power and loss in gas mileage. Hope this helped!

Last edited by Spencer D.; January 11th, 2017 at 3:01 PM.
Old January 11th, 2017, 5:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

As I've taught my kids, 4wd should only be used on snow/ice/dirt, not dry pavement. Your truck lacks a center differential, and taking turns while in 4wd will cause binding in the powertrain.

4wd can be engaged any time, but you should keep your speed below 50 MPH.
Old January 14th, 2017, 3:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by intheburbs
4wd can be engaged any time, but you should keep your speed below 50 MPH.

I believe that may be true in 4WD-hi range, but
my understanding it's 30 mph in 4WD-lo range.

Last edited by SWHouston; January 14th, 2017 at 3:51 PM.