Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2009, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Newbie questions

Hi,
I've actually owned a Suburban for years (200K+ miles on it) but just recently bought a Tahoe (mostly because of the one of a kind artwork, but also because a short Tahoe is MUCH easier to turn around in the mountains ).

I have noticed a few issues with the Tahoe that I'll need to work on and do some searching on the Web for help with at some point. Here is the list:

1) Occassional 'lurch' when shifting from Reverse to Forward. Also probably related is an occasional 'slight' jump while it is shifting through gears (automatic trans). Trasmission seems to handle the mountains without any problems so not sure what this is.

2) Occassionally turn the key on and it acts like a dead battery, but then starts fine if I turn key off and turn it on again. I do hear the fuel pump spinning up fine and I do have a new battery and have cleaned the cabling at the battery posts.

3) High speed fan/blower position doesn't work..all other positions work fine.

4) very slight roughness at idle, but has good acceleration and power.

5) driving from FL to MN I noticed a vibration occassionally at 70MPH. After replacing the shocks, brakes, and some rear seals that showed minor signs of leaking the vibration is still there but much less noticeable. I'm guessing it is just the unevenly worn tires (they are pretty worn). Just agonizing over the best tires to replace it with (has 15" rims that are a pain to clean and the tires are oversized Goodyears (31x10.50x15) so might be open to a rim change AND tire changes.) The 15" rims give me nice handling in the mountain roads, although for highway driving you feel a bit too bouncy/tippy, but it is hard for me to tell since lately I alternate driving my Miata (150K+ miles) which still feels like you are riding on rails.

6) Driving in exteremly heavy rains gives me some water in the rear carpet. Have the same problem in my Suburban so will be fun to track down.

Absolutely love driving the Tahoe, though...these issues are minor compared to what I went through on my Jaguar (it just had to be one of those Jaguars that fit the stereotype). If you are interested in how bad just the first few months of owning a Jag Xk8 can be look at my Newbie post in this Jag forum: http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jag...8649504-1.html

Any recommendations for an easy/cheap swapout of the Chrome Grill and good pricing on Chrome wheels would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking to go overboard in that area (as you can tell from the picture chrome isn't going to attract the eye that much ).

-Todd
Attached Thumbnails Newbie questions-dsc03914_18.jpg  
Old August 9th, 2009, 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flag is backwards on the hood, other than that cool looking truck.
Old August 12th, 2009, 8:07 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Nice two door.