Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

no clue mechanics!

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 3:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no clue mechanics!

I just want to start by saying that until four weeks ago today, I was in love with my 07 Tahoe. I noticed that my gauges stopped working and my radio went out. I had my car towed to a GM dealership. I called everyday for two weeks and never could get a diagnosis. I then called GM customer service and they still can't figure out what's wrong with my car! It has been at the dealership for 4 weeks and I still don't know what is wrong with it nor when I will get my car back! My husband was seriously inquiring about a 2011 Camaro before this, but if GM can't fix their own cars, I don't know if I will allow him to go forward!
Old July 19th, 2011, 7:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by unhappycamper
I just want to start by saying that until four weeks ago today, I was in love with my 07 Tahoe. I noticed that my gauges stopped working and my radio went out. I had my car towed to a GM dealership. I called everyday for two weeks and never could get a diagnosis. I then called GM customer service and they still can't figure out what's wrong with my car! It has been at the dealership for 4 weeks and I still don't know what is wrong with it nor when I will get my car back! My husband was seriously inquiring about a 2011 Camaro before this, but if GM can't fix their own cars, I don't know if I will allow him to go forward!

so your truck has been at a dealership for a month, and they are able to duplicate the problem, and they still have no resolution???

I'd see about getting it to another dealer... I wouldn't exactly lump GM in with this dealers inability to provide timely service...

:chug:
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

or it could be awaiting a backordered special part. dont worry about it. you are still under warranty so its not you are going to pay for it. You should have asked for a loaner.
Old July 20th, 2011, 7:38 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd questioning the dealer a bit harder - being there for 1 month they should have been able to tear the whole thing apart and fix anything. and I also agree on not pegging GM as a whole for this random issue that could be a dealer problem.

but you started the SAME random thread in 2 places on the forum yesterday - maybe you work for Ford?
Old July 20th, 2011, 5:47 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

unhappycamper,

I am sorry to hear that you have not had your vehicle for a month. Do you have a case with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:29 AM
CF Beginner

First of all, you are right, that's why I am so frustrated. They have had my truck for four weeks and still don't know what is wrong. They are continuously buying time by telling GM that they are waiting on parts! I have been communicating with a GM rep and keep asking the question of at what point do they send the car to another dealership that may have a better clue! The only reason that I have not done it myself is because the mechanic keeps telling GM that he is waiting on a part.

Second of all, you are right. You did see the SAME random thread in two places! The wonderful world of techniolgy
allows you to copy and paste anything you want. My hope is that someone will have had a similar experience and can possibly tell me what's wrong with my car! And I have not and never will be a Ford girl! My budget is slightly above that!

Originally Posted by ousig2408
I 2nd questioning the dealer a bit harder - being there for 1 month they should have been able to tear the whole thing apart and fix anything. and I also agree on not pegging GM as a whole for this random issue that could be a dealer problem.

but you started the SAME random thread in 2 places on the forum yesterday - maybe you work for Ford?
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Yes. I'm actually working on 5 weeks now! They keep saying it's something electrical but don't know what. They car won't even crank! They have managed to convince GM that they have it under control and are just waiting on the parts. They were waiting on parts two weeks ago that was supposedly gonna fix it. I'm assuming those parts didn't work because they are now waiting on new parts! I want the car towed if these latest parts that were ordered doesn't work! This mechanic should be required to go back to GM school!

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
so your truck has been at a dealership for a month, and they are able to duplicate the problem, and they still have no resolution???

I'd see about getting it to another dealer... I wouldn't exactly lump GM in with this dealers inability to provide timely service...

:chug:
Old July 21st, 2011, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Yes ma'am. I do. The mechanic seems to be convincing GM that he has it under control. I just want to know the next step. At what point does GM stop giving this guy the chance to fix it? He has had the car for over four weeks now! It's obvious he has no clue. I am all for being patient in order to have it fixed right but it has been over four weeks and I still can't tell you whats wrong with it.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
unhappycamper,

I am sorry to hear that you have not had your vehicle for a month. Do you have a case with GM Customer Assistance?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 21st, 2011, 8:32 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by unhappycamper
And I have not and never will be a Ford girl! My budget is slightly above that!
Interesting, all my Fords run like a top and my Suburban has intermittent electrical problems. Just ribbing ya a little (it is true though)

I agree, sounds more like a dealer problem than a GM, but 5 weeks it's time for GM to take charge!

Sounds like the alternator or a grounding issue, but hard to say and surely that was the first thing they checked. Or the computer took a dump (easy to check that) or it is dead instrument cluster (easy check also).

Be nice if you could get them to give you a list of whats been checked.

Describe more about what happened right before the gauges went out.

P.S. I say let your hubby get the Camaro.

Where are you located, maybe someone knows a better dealership.
Old July 21st, 2011, 9:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly tell us more details - what dealership and what have they done/checked so far? sorry but I still find it hard to believe the truck has been at a dealer for that long and they have not found the issue yet. I am sure they have paid for the rental for the whole time??? I mean that has got to cost them a TON

Quick Reply: no clue mechanics!