Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No OBD connectivity for emissions check

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2024, 6:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gumby22
It is highly unlikely that the ECM is to blame for this issue.

Based on everything I’ve read so far, I think the blame lies with the shop’s scan tool and/or operator.

Are there any other shops you can go to for smog inspection? Even if it’s out of the way, it may be worth going to another shop if their scanner connects to the vehicle.

And are there any aftermarket devices connected to the OBD port?

I’ll post more later after I’ve had a chance to review info specific to your vehicle - all I’ve told you so far is basic troubleshooting.
Unfortunately, all the emissions test stations are state owned/ran, so the equipment is the same. I’ve been to 2 different test sites with the same result. I’ve driving through for a test, and used the manual testing kiosk, but their scanners could not connect.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Old March 30th, 2024, 6:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy_Scout
Finally got around to testing this out.
Pin 16 powers a test light just fine, not problem there. Tested the resistance of Pins 6 / 14, and it's reading about 60Ω.
Are there any other area's I can troubleshoot? A buddy of mine suggested getting a new ECM, but I'm not sure if that'll solve the problem.
Chevy_Scout
Did you try connecting the test light from pin 16 to pin 4 & pin 5 ?
Old March 30th, 2024, 11:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

A little FYI,
anytime the PCM (Computer) is replaced, the replacement must be programmed to the vehicle or the security system will not recognize the replacement and can prevent the vehicle from starting Make sure that little bit of info is not overlooked.
Old April 1st, 2024, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 272 Likes on 235 Posts

When your mechanic friend hooked up the snap on, did it connect to ALL the modules on the vehicle?

At a minimum the ECM, BCM, ABS, SIR, and DDM/DSM are on the high speed network. Depending on options it could also have a fuel pump driver module, VCIM (on star), and others.

The remaining body modules are typically on lower speed networks but should still communicate with the scan tool.

Unfortunately, all the emissions test stations are state owned/ran, so the equipment is the same. I’ve been to 2 different test sites with the same result. I’ve driving through for a test, and used the manual testing kiosk, but their scanners could not connect.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Old April 1st, 2024, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Did you try connecting the test light from pin 16 to pin 4 & pin 5 ?
I used the test light on both 16/4 and 16/5 without any problems or dimming.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Old April 1st, 2024, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
A little FYI,
anytime the PCM (Computer) is replaced, the replacement must be programmed to the vehicle or the security system will not recognize the replacement and can prevent the vehicle from starting Make sure that little bit of info is not overlooked.

Thanks for the tip; I'll make a note of it if it comes to this.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Old April 1st, 2024, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Gumby22
When your mechanic friend hooked up the snap on, did it connect to ALL the modules on the vehicle?

At a minimum the ECM, BCM, ABS, SIR, and DDM/DSM are on the high speed network. Depending on options it could also have a fuel pump driver module, VCIM (on star), and others.

The remaining body modules are typically on lower speed networks but should still communicate with the scan tool.
Yes it did. I was at his shop and used this as a guide. The scan tool saw the different modules.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Old April 1st, 2024, 7:08 PM
CF Veteran

Yes it did. I was at his shop and used this as a guide. The scan tool saw the different modules.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Are you absolutely certain all the modules are communicating?

I’m not familiar with snap on specifically, but some scanners will not alert to the modules they can’t communicate with.

For example, the scanner may attempt to communicate with all the modules on the high speed network, but if it only gets a response from the ECM and ABS, it doesn’t display the remaining modules were unresponsive.

If you/your mechanic doesn’t know what modules should be present, it could appear that all modules are present when they’re actually not.

Since I don’t know what options are on your suburban, here’s a complete list of all the possibilities - you’ll have to check the RPO sticker to verify what it’s supposed to have.

(I need to correct my earlier post - in 2012 the high speed network configuration didn’t include all the modules I mentioned - that was based on what I know to be true of later models. I apologize for the misinformation.)

High speed network

ECM/TCM (or PCM if not separate)
TCCM
ABS
BCM
VCIM
FPDM
TBCM
ESC

Low Speed/LIN Bus Networks

BCM
VCIM
IPC
HVAC
SIR
Liftgate/rear hatch control
Theft deterrent
Compass
Radio
Digital Radio Receiver
Amplifier
Rear seat audio and/or heated seats
Front seat heaters
Driver and passenger door switches
Automatic running boards
Object detection sensors

Also, please post a picture of the OBD port - I may be able to tell you if the terminals are worn/loose.
Old April 2nd, 2024, 5:30 AM
CF Beginner

To be honest, I wasn't looking at the scanner as my buddy was nodding his head saying "yes". I'll make some time and head back out to his shop and update this post.

But the problem isn't the Snap-On scanner since the dealer also connects without a problem. The problem is with my little handheld scanner, and the scanner at the emissions testing station, which can't connect to my OBD port.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
Old April 2nd, 2024, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

To be honest, I wasn't looking at the scanner as my buddy was nodding his head saying "yes". I'll make some time and head back out to his shop and update this post.

But the problem isn't the Snap-On scanner since the dealer also connects without a problem. The problem is with my little handheld scanner, and the scanner at the emissions testing station, which can't connect to my OBD port.

V/R,

Chevy_Scout
I understand that - the reason I’m asking is because I’m trying to verify all the modules are communicating.

I don’t live in an emissions regulated state and I don’t know what type of scanners they use, but I wouldn’t be surprised if one module not communicating somehow prevents the scanner from connecting at all. How or why, I don’t know.

Is your handheld scanner powering on and not communicating; or is it not powering on at all? What about the testing station?

One other thing to consider - see if there’s any software updates that need to be done. I’ve checked every resource I have for TSB’s regarding this issue and haven’t found anything, so I don’t think it’s a software problem; however it wouldn’t hurt to get any updates that are due and see if it corrects the problem. Sometimes these odd problems are resolved by updating the software.

Quick Reply: No OBD connectivity for emissions check