Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Odd Oil Life Reset Issue

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2018, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Oil Life Reset Issue

I've tried searching for this but came up empty so far, and posted in a few other forums with no luck thus far. So I'm hoping someone here will have an idea.

For years my 06 Tahoe Z71 4WD 5.3, would properly reset the oil life back to 100%. Now for the last 2 oil changes it has decided that it doesn't want to. On the previous reset attempt it would only reset to 82%.
On the most recent Oil Change it only reset to 52%. This isn't really a big problem just quite odd.
I did note that when it only reset to 82% that it still took the same 10K or so miles to get down to 0%.

Of course when it didn't fully reset the first time I reset it several times all going to only 82%. Now that it's only resetting to 52% I'll have to see how it does.

Unknown if this is related (wouldn't seem to be) but now all of a sudden I'm also getting a blinking disk symbol on the factory radio. This has never happened before, and no disk has been in the radio for the last 400K miles.
In my weird way of thinking, I think it may be trying to tell me something else is wrong. I also just caught it forgetting to turn the AC fan off. vehicle appeared to shut down normally but the fan was still running. I restarted and shut back down and the fan stopped normally the second time. So something is amiss, or somethings are amiss.
Old November 10th, 2018, 9:14 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm thinking BCM or at least a poor electrical connection, might try checking all of your electrical connections to and from battery.
Old November 10th, 2018, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I'm thinking BCM or at least a poor electrical connection
For the Oil Life Issue, I wouldn't be thinking bad connection. Since that's strictly a computer based guestimation there are no sensors or anything else to cause a partial thing.

As for the AC fan.. oops the fan control module crapped out. So totally unrelated. And for the CD symbol, the radio finally decided to shuffle through all the non existent CD's and now that's happy. So again not related.
Thus it's back to an unhappy computer, be it the BCM or ECM, I have no idea. Somewhere it does the calculations and sends them to dash. Don't get me wrong I've found and fixed plenty of bad connections in the vehicle. DeOxit D-100 is your friend.
Old November 12th, 2018, 5:48 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The OLMS is a lot more than just an estimate by the computer. The computer has an algorithm in it that takes inputs from lots of different sensors on the engine such as temperature, revolutions, speed, engine hours, engine load, ambient temperature, etc.
Old November 14th, 2018, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
The OLMS is a lot more than just an estimate by the computer. The computer has an algorithm in it that takes inputs from lots of different sensors on the engine such as temperature, revolutions, speed, engine hours, engine load, ambient temperature, etc.
Yes, very true, I didn't say it this time, but yes, it's a guestimate based on driving conditions, but it is, and the "driving conditions" are derived from the different information sources. This I know. But given that, none of the sensors or data there from would (or should) cause the computer to not reset to 100%. Bad data may cause the percentage to fall faster, still the reset should go to 100% every time.

So I think I'm looking at an issue with the computer itself, it's just a question of which computer, and what oddity would cause this.

Last edited by SmokChsr; November 14th, 2018 at 1:38 PM.