Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OMG HOOD DENTS WITH CONSISTENCY, CHECK YOURS! ZX HELP!

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OMG HOOD DENTS WITH CONSISTENCY, CHECK YOURS! ZX HELP!

To "open and close your own hood all the time." is a great approach but not always a practical reality for most people that do not do their own maintenance.

GM has learned from past experience that simply providing instructions will not remedy a potential problem or design oversight, they’ll engineer a fix for this soon.

For those that have dented hood, see your Chevy dealership Service Manager and if you get no satisfaction then have GM Customer Assistance open a case and get the Regional Service Rep involved.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:41 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,
I guess there is no way to adjust the amount of pressure in the struts? Obviously if they could do that it would have been done!

How about removing the struts and just using a normal hood lifter gadget!
Old October 22nd, 2006, 3:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Customers should be instructed to lower the hood slowly to the secondary latch position (hood lowered to first engagement point) then push down firmly on the front edge of the hood to securely close it. You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal.
Well that sucks for those us that have bug guards, huh?
Old October 22nd, 2006, 5:27 PM
CF Addict

At least you have a choice. You can push down on the bug shield, Break it! Or you can push down more towards the middle of the hood, and dent it! . JK

I dont think it realy matters where you push. The dents on my hood are in a location that would seem ideal for closing the hood. If you could see where they were, you would wonder how. But they are there!

Hopefully GM will fix the hood for all of us with the dents, and will sooner than later come out with a fix!
Old October 23rd, 2006, 1:08 AM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

I noticed this high effort hood closing problem early on and found that if you lower hood slowly to about a foot from closed, then you can easily shut it because the gas struts no longer have much mechanical advantage.

FYI: I much prefer struts to prop rods which I always thought was a bad idea adopted from imports.

Oops, didn't see page one to this thread. Oh well.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 2:59 AM
CF Addict

Hey,

Question. I dont have an under the hood light/lamp. Is that because of my Lt model, or is that not an option? Thanks.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 5:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not just Chevrolet, my Yukon has a dent. I know it was there when I bought it, but of coarse the dealer denies it [] I need to get a hold of one of those paintless dent repair people. Anyone in the bay area know of someone?
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:22 PM
CF Addict

Well I took the Tahoe to the dealership this morning. The service manager acted as if he hadnt seen this nor heard it was an issue. He sent me to the Body Shop manager.

The body shop manager said the same thing, I have never seen this before. He found 5 dents along the front of the hood. I have had it about a month, and opened the darn hood twice. Once for the grill application, and another to add washer fluid? I guess I caused them all, no chance!

He said he didnt believe that GM would pay for this and it would be my responsibility. Well what do I do? Pay to have them fixed, then have to take it back in to get them removed every 5k miles? 500 miles from me, other was GM program tahoe!

Dave,

Do you have any answers or feedback on what I should do? I really dont feel I should have to pay for this. What can I say or do, anything? Or should I just pay it cry and go on? Thanks.
Old October 23rd, 2006, 1:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: biglg

Well I took the Tahoe to the dealership this morning. The service manager acted as if he hadnt seen this nor heard it was an issue. He sent me to the Body Shop manager.

The body shop manager said the same thing, I have never seen this before.
Did you provide the Service Manager with the TSB that he should already have??
Old October 23rd, 2006, 1:50 PM
CF Addict

I mentioned to the body shop manager that there was a TSB for this.

However the TSB basically states the issue and how to address the issue if high effort closing exists. I dont think I can use the TSB as a reason for them to warranty the dents and fix them does it? However, I feel I shouldnt have to pay for it. If I would have known about the issue I would have been scoping the hood out everytime someone opened in the shop, etc.

I left the vehicle there and they were going to check around and see what they found out. Some regional or area guy was supposed to be there today and they were going to talk to him about it and see what he said.

All I have to say, if this comes out of my pocket I wont be happy. Furthermore, if it gets fixed and the dents continue I will be done with it!

Quick Reply: OMG HOOD DENTS WITH CONSISTENCY, CHECK YOURS! ZX HELP!