Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OnStar Price Increase

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2007, 10:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OnStar Price Increase

I know this probably is not the correct forum, for a generic subject like OnStar, but this is the only forum, I read so...

I got a letter today saying that my On Star monthly price is increasing in October. I have decided to cancel my OnStar because of this increase. I know it is only $2 more a month, but where does it stop? I don't utilize it anywhere near enough to justify $19/month. Does anybody else utilize thier On Star? On Starcan a valuble tool, but I just don't think it is worth the cost.

Any thoughts?

Kevin
Old August 12th, 2007, 11:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OnStar Price Increase

I bought my '07 Tahoe last September. With it, was supposed to be 1 free year of OnStar. It's kind of annoying that I get to pay the increase for these last few months of OnStar. Yeah, it's only a couple bucks a month, but principally, free should be free. With the increase, OnStar has yet to tell me what additional services that buys or if it's just to pad their profit margins. You'd think (hope) that there's some value-added to the increase.
Old August 13th, 2007, 3:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Owners of Onstar equipped vehicles that are under the 1 year free program will continue to recieve Onstar for free for the entire year.

If you don't want to pay the extra $2 per month you can pre-pay for a year or multi-year at the current discounted rates.

More info: http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp/plans/index.jsp
Old August 13th, 2007, 3:25 PM
CF Beginner

I will let mine expire in 2 months when the free year is up. I think there are some great features with OnStar, but cannot justify $20 per month for it. I already pay for the worthless XM radio because I can't have Sirius, just too many monthly fees, you have to decide what is worth it and what is not.
Old August 13th, 2007, 3:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the case. I am under the free year until September. I saw a $2.38 charge on my credit card statement this month.
Old August 13th, 2007, 3:47 PM
CF Active Member

I too am under the freebee time for the next two months. I like the peace of mind that OnStar gives me, but that peace of mind is not worth $20+ dollars.
Old August 13th, 2007, 5:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I got a $6.78 cent charge this month since my free year expires in August, now I'm paid through September. I only used Onstar for the phone. I bought 100 minutes and planned to use it up before now. I have 8 mins left. So I canceled Onstar. Its still active till September 1st. Its not worth paying the monthly charge to me.

I don't floss the hoe daily. Trying to keep it new and keep the mileage low instead of running it into the ground like all my previous rides.

I wasn't expecting the $6.78 charge. I know my card is on file, and I know the agreement says they can do that. But, it convinced me to cancel.
Old August 13th, 2007, 5:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call and cancel and see what happens. New rate offered!

I will not pay that much for Onstar. I have a phone. Road service is better and faster with AAA. If I lock my keys in,I hope it costs less than $360 to get into my ride.(plus there is the cell phone trick to get in with other key fob)
Old August 13th, 2007, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

I've never paid for it, and I never will. I too have a cell-phone. Even for the people who don't have a cell phone/plan. Just buy an old phone off ebay for a few bucks, and don't activate it, throw it in the glove box. 911 still works whether the phone has a plan or not.

For those who want some of the other features (like turn by turn navigation, onboard diagnostics, etc.) Check into carputers. I found a site these past few weeks with a wealth of information on installing computers into cars (and you can easily do it for under $500). The onstar GPS transciever on my Tahoe can be hacked to interface with the computer.

Not to mention MP3 playing, DVDs, satelite radio (XM AND/OR SERIUS), internet capibility including live traffic updates on your GPS... You can even set it up to control your climate control digitally, take care of power windows (like having a button to roll down/up all the windows at once, or roll up the windows automaticly when car is turned off) The posibilities are endless. Why the hell would someone pay $20 to onstar for virtually no service whatsoever?

I don't know the policy on posting links to outside websites, so if you're interested in learning more, PM me, and I'll send you a link to the site.
Old August 14th, 2007, 8:01 AM
CF Beginner

What website was it you found all of this on?

Quick Reply: OnStar Price Increase