Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

OnStar Price Increase

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2007, 9:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OnStar Price Increase

Even with the $2 increase - Basic Onstar service is still cheaper than most base cellular plans. Unfortunately we are living in a time when inflation is creaping in with most all products.

While nobody likes to pay more for the same product that they were used to getting for less, it still worth the price for the services you receive at least for me.

I have personally been to quite a few motor vehicle accidents calls were the driver had a regular cell phone, but was unconscious to be able to use it.

Do I like paying more - No, but having Peace of mind its worth having it to me.
Old August 16th, 2007, 9:52 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Sounds like a plan to me.

I thought maybe there was some secret code that would turn your cell into a remote fob or something like that.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 1:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do that I suppose, but you'd have to have another cell phone always in the car hooked into the lock. You could wire it so that when the phone rang, the locks would be triggered. Just like the terrorists like to do. (Icame up with theconcept like 5 years before they started doing it... Those little bastards aren't as smart as they think they are).

Anyway, Iguess thatwould actuallybe a viable plan with a pay-as-you-go type phone. Just buy 5 min of air time, and it would last you forever!

That settles it. I'm doing it. I can't have my wife finding out what a fool I am.
Old September 11th, 2007, 4:31 PM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: tahoe07

Call and cancel and see what happens. New rate offered!
Yep. They asked what I was willing to pay, and they accepted. Guaranteed for one year.
Old September 12th, 2007, 3:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are forgetting the principal use of the OnStar hardware in the car -

There are interfaces that allow you to hook your Bluetooth car kit through the OnStar and use it for conversations on your mobile phone. I did it and installed and OnStart Lockpick and it works great.

GM has zero incentive to make this sytem more useful as they get a piece of the action from Verizon. It's called a bounty and for every user they add, the operator pays them some money.

I would use OnStar if I hada choice of operator and if it would work in conjunction with my mobile phone. BMW actually does this. Your car will call and alert them in case of accedent, through your phone that is either paired or craddled in the car.

Old September 25th, 2007, 2:28 AM
CF Junior Member

My carputer will also be able to bluetooth interface with my web enabled PPC phone (Sprint Mogul) for internet, and calls. I'll bet I could get somone to write me a program to dial 911 in the event that the airbags were triggered as well... Maybe I'll look into this. Anyway, if anybody is interested in an update of what I'm doing with this badboy (I know, kinof a hijack, but this thread is virtually dead anyway...

Link: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...evy-tahoe.html
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: yarom

You guys are forgetting the principal use of the OnStar hardware in the car -

There are interfaces that allow you to hook your Bluetooth car kit through the OnStar and use it for conversations on your mobile phone. I did it and installed and OnStart Lockpick and it works great.

GM has zero incentive to make this sytem more useful as they get a piece of the action from Verizon. It's called a bounty and for every user they add, the operator pays them some money.

I would use OnStar if I hada choice of operator and if it would work in conjunction with my mobile phone. BMW actually does this. Your car will call and alert them in case of accedent, through your phone that is either paired or craddled in the car.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial for Onstar here goes:

The principal use of Onstar is far from what you suggest. It is simply a convenience and safety feature offered to GM customers by utilizing equipment and technologies that GM owns or has developed over the years thru some of their subsidiaries.

GM is always looking at ways to improve the Onstar service and make it more useful and valuable to its customers but is limited in certain areas due to contractual agreements.
Onstar and Verizon Wireless's agreement contract is much more broad and complicated then what you lead people to believe and you have forgotten that for hundred of thousands of Verizon customers the ability to link their wireless account to the more powerful and hands free Onstar phone equipment in their vehicles via the America's Choice-sm Plan or Onstar Personal Calling is as large a benefit to Verizon as it is toOnstar. To make a long story short both companies benefit from each others service customers and neither pays the other a “bounty” however proceeds are exchanged under the terms of the agreement as is the case in any business contract and what makes the world go round.

With all that said: Onstar is a service that some find worthwhile and others not so much and that is what we get in the USA; the freedom to chose.
Old September 25th, 2007, 1:49 PM
CF Active Member

I don't personally have a big problem with GM choosing to handle OnStar this way (with or without Verizon), it's just my opinion that it's a stupid move when virtually every similar offering from their competitors is better. I still laugh whenever I'm reminded of Cadillac's official response when asked about Bluetooth -- they were still "evaluating" whether customers wanted it. Riiiight.