Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Onstar! Ya killin me! 03 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstar! Ya killin me! 03 Suburban

So, I recently purchased an 03 Suburban and I'm super happy with it. The other day there was a crazy rain and it seems to have done something to the Onstar system. There is clearly hardware damage as the red light on the rear view mirror blinks.

It basically takes over the radio and decides to call Onstar. I cannot make this stop. So, I then have to talk to someone from Onstar. The only thing they suggest is taking it to the dealership.

I have no interest in having Onstar. Is there a way to just disable it myself? Tired of talking to their help desk!
Old April 5th, 2019, 5:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GavinFraser
I have no interest in having Onstar. Is there a way to just disable it myself? Tired of talking to their help desk!
Pull out the Onstar fuse see https://www.wikihow.com/Deactivate-Onstar
Old April 5th, 2019, 6:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
Pull out the Onstar fuse see https://www.wikihow.com/Deactivate-Onstar
Appreciate the response. Wasn't sure if the fuse controlled other things. Can but try. Now to find the fuse in question!
Old April 5th, 2019, 6:14 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Now to find the fuse in question!
Sometimes not so easy !!! For example, on our 2005 Yukon the fuse that controls the OBD2 socket is labeled "Cigar", because the cigarette lighter is on that same circuit.
Old April 5th, 2019, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
Sometimes not so easy !!! For example, on our 2005 Yukon the fuse that controls the OBD2 socket is labeled "Cigar", because the cigarette lighter is on that same circuit.
True, so much contradictory information!
I checked the manual and under the hood is a fuse for onstar/ rear entertainment..... there's nothing entertaining back there so hopefully that does the trick!
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:12 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

think the only way to deactivate it is to unplug it. BUT you cant just unplug it and have to take the dash apart to get to it. the reasoning being is it tracks your car and if someone was to steal your car they didnt want them to simply unplug something to stop the GPS. think on those vehicles the unit is behing the airbag on the passengers side. maybe you can just unplug the mirror, dont know if you have the auto darkening mirror ???
Old April 6th, 2019, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

True, so much contradictory information!
I checked the manual and under the hood is a fuse for onstar/ rear entertainment..... there's nothing entertaining back there so hopefully that does the trick!
Yes, I saw that too... and yes nothing entertaining in the background of my car. I pulled it and 10mins into driving I haven't made calls call to OnStar. Thanks for the input.