Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Onstart lady bugging me "No Phone"

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2014, 12:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Onstart lady bugging me "No Phone"

Hello I'm new to the board, just purchased a 2005 Z71 Suburban, and the OnStar chick keeps asking about "phone Unavailable".

Steps I've taken:
1. I dont want the Subscription
2. So I call Onstar, they tell me I need to update my system from Analog to Digital.
3. I called the dealer, they look up my VIN and tell me I already have a Digital system, to come in so they can rape me on the hooking up the computer system and get it resolved.
4. More online research, find out I can remove the fuse and it will disable the Annoying chik! Come to find out that fuse also covers my kids DVD player on the truck. So I have to choose Annoying chik + DVD, or no Chik and my kids driving me crazy! I can't win...

Perhaps someone on the board can help me figure out how to put the chik in a coma and still watch "Phineas and Ferb".

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Old December 9th, 2014, 1:08 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hmm

Intresting....

my 09 came with a recycled phone number, so I kept getting random calls. I just used the phone to burn all the minutes so it finally shut off.

no one wants a 'car phone' what is this? 1996? if you can afford a suburban, you most likely have a cell phone.

as for your 05, can you cut power just to the OnStar parts? isn't there a module in the dash or trunk?
Old December 9th, 2014, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

I hear there is a module to remove, but its up in the dash and I have no idea what it looks like
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

We have an 05 Sub, does the same thing. Our mechanic said it happened when Onstar went to digital and you can't change ours over from analog, so onstar no good in this car now. Same problem - pull the fuse and lose the dvd. So, when she says phone unavailable, I smile and say FO onstar (pardon my potty mouth). Then I feel better.
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

According to this document if its inactive, its normal, nice option for a default

Service Information 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2096353
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#PIC4564A: Handsfree Calling Inop With Demo Message On OnStar Keypress - keywords 05-08-46-006N blue button communication digital disabled message no OPC operation vs3bgen6 vs3bgen7 - (Apr 10, 2008)

Subject: Handsfree Calling inop with demo message on OnStar® keypress

Models: All 2000 - 2009 OnStar® equipped vehicles with GEN 6 or GEN 7 hardware

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years and bulletin reference information. Please discard PIC4564.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
It has been determined that all vehicles that have Gen 6.X (Gen 6.0, 6.05, 6.06, 6.05R, 6.11, 6.15, 6.4) or 7.X (7.0, 7.04, 7.045, 7.0L, 7.1L) could have a concern where the OnStar® Handsfree Calling (OHFC) may be inoperative as well as the demo message being heard when the OnStar® blue button is pressed.

This is due to the module being reset to its default configuration through an internal trigger in the VCIM or by a call into the vehicle by OnStar® to disable the system for an identified concern.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Important: Do not perform a Set-up new OnStar®/VCIM setup on this vehicle as they may cause the concern. If a Set-up new OnStar®/VCIM setup was not performed, perform the following diagnostics:

Verify that the OnStar® account was not canceled/deactivated where this may be a normal condition.
Check to see if the customer received a letter referencing B02-08-46-007C. If so, follow bulletin directions.
If neither step 1 or 2 applies, contact the General Motors Technical Assistance Center (GMTAC) for further assistance.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:44 PM
CF Addict

Default wait

so the message plays all the time or just when you hit the blue button?

because.. even i don't hit the button... (I don't have/use DeathStar).
Old December 10th, 2014, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

Ours chimes in every time we get in the car
Old December 11th, 2014, 7:29 AM
CF Addict

Default yea

I'd seriously contemplate driving the vehicle through GMs headquarters and into the lobby each time it played.

maybe then, after it sat there for a few hours, they'd figure out a way to shut it off.

The official GM response is "$___ you"? seriously? they can't shut it off?

Over on the Jeep Forum, it was determined that via the normal buttons you can't shut off the stability thing (and thus can't spin doughnuts in the snow).... (how boring)... so, someone discovered, and the rest of us copied using a temporary press style switch to cut the ground to the gyroscopic sensor... which causes a fault and shuts all that crap off until restart... working perfectly for those times when you find a fresh 6" of snow in an empty parking lot...

so, let's get cracking!

who's got the FSM for a 2005 and can find the module?! I would think a simple removing of it's plug would fix this...

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; December 11th, 2014 at 7:32 AM.
Old December 11th, 2014, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kiquos
Hello I'm new to the board, just purchased a 2005 Z71 Suburban, and the OnStar chick keeps asking about "phone Unavailable".

Steps I've taken:
1. I dont want the Subscription
2. So I call Onstar, they tell me I need to update my system from Analog to Digital.
3. I called the dealer, they look up my VIN and tell me I already have a Digital system, to come in so they can rape me on the hooking up the computer system and get it resolved.
4. More online research, find out I can remove the fuse and it will disable the Annoying chik! Come to find out that fuse also covers my kids DVD player on the truck. So I have to choose Annoying chik + DVD, or no Chik and my kids driving me crazy! I can't win...

Perhaps someone on the board can help me figure out how to put the chik in a coma and still watch "Phineas and Ferb".

Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Kiquos,

I would be more than happy to investigate this further for you. Please send me a PM with your full VIN. With that information I will be able to pull up information on the OnStar system in the vehicle. Thank you! I hope to hear from you soon.

~Sara, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team
Old December 11th, 2014, 9:43 PM
CF Veteran

Wow, if Sara can help please let me know - I won't have to xmas shop if I can turn that gal off in my wife's sub!!!