Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Operator error - again !!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2023, 9:59 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts
Default Operator error - again !!!!

Horse trailer is back at repair shop, had two bent axles. Turned out that Mario Andretti (Mrs. Cusser) had not simply broken a steel partition panel bracket driving too fast on a pot-holed dirt road last summer, she also bent two axles (one has electric brakes). It also looked like she'd set the electric brake controller incorrectly and abraided/ruined the tires on that axle. Hoping to get out of that for under $1500......

Anyway, that's not the purpose of this post. I've been sick a week with severe seasonal allergies, and the rear hatch on the 2014 Yukon Denali would unlock, but would need to be raised manually (and closed manually) like on our 2005 Yukon Denali. No big deal for me, she likes the electric opening and closing. We had a 2011 Yukon Denali that wouldn't open automatically or stay open, I installed new lift cartridges to fix that. So, being sick, I just re-ordered a pair of new lift cartridges through Amazon for $28. Yesterday I felt good-enough to replace those (used a 6-foot pipe and floor jack to support the hatch), but that didn't fix the non-opening/non-closing issue. I started looking at fuse identifications since the actuator motor for this made no noise or motion at all. Just then I remembered there's some button inside (I never actually drive this vehicle) for the rear hatch, and sure enough, she had switched to the lock position, so easy fix.

So operator error again, just like with the failure to realize the side rails automatic operation could be turned off.....don't bet on her ever reading the operator's manual.....

I left the new lift supports on, $28. So I have the old ones as spares.....
Old April 7th, 2023, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

you saved $ cause it would have been $100 for a shop to diagnose it.
Old April 7th, 2023, 7:19 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
you saved $ cause it would have been $100 for a shop to diagnose it.
These days: likely.