Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Optima or Interstate battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 6:35 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Jim.

Which battery for an 08 Suburban 1500 do you recommend?
I do run the battery with the engine off, but not for an extended period ( more than an hour ) or so.
No aftermarket stereo but DVD.
MIght go with a 2 battery set up as well.
Old May 31st, 2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08 burb fan
Which battery for an 08 Suburban 1500 do you recommend?
From his statement about discharging, the way I read it is that the Yellow Top is best for standard use and deep cycling. That would apply to your intended use. Keep in mind that the deep cycling feature does not assure you of an engine re-start, only the ability of the Battery to handle discharges repeatedly.

A second Battery extends the usage time some, before voltage drops lower than the point for a re-start.

If you intend on operating sound/other equipment for lengthily periods and demand a reliable re-start, then, using a Battery Isolator for your second Battery is your best choice.

Last edited by SWHouston; May 31st, 2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 6:53 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Looks like I may be making a purchase of an Optima... my ACDelco battery that is not more then 8 months old needed a jump start today...
Old June 3rd, 2013, 5:49 AM
CF Active Member

Been shopping prices here in ct, about $180-$200 or so out the door.
Old June 3rd, 2013, 7:30 AM
Administrator

Amazon has pretty good prices, but I see conflicting info on warranty related issues... Optima won't warranty through Amazon but it looks like Amazon will warranty it...
I want to find the biggest battery I can shoe horn in and I want it to be a deep cycle, looks like it needs to be a Yellow top but Optimas site recommends the Red Top... and oddly enough they do not show a listing for the 07's only 08's and up...
Old June 3rd, 2013, 9:29 AM
Premium Sponsor

73shark, you can load-test an AGM battery, just like any other lead-acid battery to get a good idea of where it's at in it's life cycle. 08 burb fan, we list a group 34R (reverse terminal configuration) battery as a direct fit replacement on your truck, but the only version we manufacture is our RedTop starting battery. I ran dual RedTops in my Excursion for years, which also has a DVD player and we'd run the stereo with the engine off for hours at a time (although not on a regular basis) and never had an issue with cycling. I did make a habit of fully-recharging the batteries with a battery charger, if I knew I had deeply-discharged them.

in2pro, I wouldn't give up on your other battery just yet, especially if it's just eight months old. Fully-charged, that battery should measure about 12.6 volts. If you can fully-charge it with a battery charger and disconnect it from your vehicle for 12-24 hours, it should hold close to it's maximum voltage. If it does hold voltage, but then loses voltage when connected to your truck, you might have a parasitic draw that is discharging your battery.

I did ask one of our engineers about fitment on the 2007 model year Tahoe and he indicated if it was a model changeover year, we may not list specific fitment. If you can tell me what size battery you are currently using (Group 48/H6?) it might give me a better idea of whether we'd have fitment for you. As far as retailers are concerned, our warranties are handled by the original retailer, so if you buy from an online retailer, you may have to ship your battery back for warranty service. Not everyone who sells our batteries online is authorized to do so, which I know has led to some warranty service issues for customers in the past. I can't single any online retailer out, but I would encourage anyone considering making an online purchase to read feedback from other consumers, as their experiences relate to warranty service before making a purchase themselves.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
OPTIMAŽ Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest
Old June 3rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Jim,
thank you for the quick response and suggestions
I did charge up the battery last night, left it on the 2 amp charge over night, she started up fine this morning and I will check again around lunch... I will perform your suggested test later this week....
This past week the dash gauge was always showing over 14 V charging, this morning it was right at or just a hair less than side of 14V even after being on the charger all night...
Its a 48-6YR 615CCA 110RC
Old June 3rd, 2013, 5:56 PM
CF Active Member

Thanks Jim. I will start with one Redtop and go from there. Thanks for the assistance. Nice to have Positive customer experience from a mfg these days.
Old June 6th, 2013, 9:33 AM
Premium Sponsor

Dash gauges are generally not as accurate as measuring voltage directly from the terminals. Measuring the voltage at the battery terminals with the engine off will show the true voltage of the battery and measuring it with the engine on will show the output of the alternator. After batteries have been fully-charged, they may show a surface charge significantly higher than their fully-charged voltage level, but that usually goes away once you start a vehicle.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
OPTIMAŽ Batteries (optimabatteries) on Pinterest
Old June 6th, 2013, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

My RV has two AGM house batteries and they are relatively inaccessible. What would be a good way to test them? They're almost three years old and brand is unknown.

Quick Reply: Optima or Interstate battery replacement