Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Outside Temperature Reading Way Off

Old March 14th, 2012, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outside Temperature Reading Way Off

I leased a new 2012 Suburban LTZ two weeks ago, and I'm encountering the same odd issue that drove us a little nuts with our 2009 Suburban:

It seems to happen primarily on early spring or late fall days when the temperature is at or near freezing overnight, but mild during the day. (In the most recent incident, the local temperature was around 60, but the outside temperature gauge stayed stubbornly stuck at 37 degrees). The incorrect temperature reading in and of itself isn't particularly bothersome, but it's making it impossible to keep the A/C on. (It just turns itself off from the false reading).

We've never been able to get over to the dealership in time to duplicate the problem, and their diagnostic equipment is not generating any codes.

We had the same elusive issue with the 09, but really hoped the problem would have been resolved with our 2012 replacement. We love our Suburban, but this problem is a little maddening.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by BigDaddyG; March 14th, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old March 14th, 2012, 1:41 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Mine did that one time. Several months later when having the oil changed, I had them check it and they replaced the temperature sensor.
Old March 14th, 2012, 7:01 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> BigDaddyG,

I agree with 73shark, you may need to have the temperature sensor replaced. Is there anything blocking the sensor (behind the front grill)?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 14th, 2012, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
BigDaddyG,

I agree with 73shark, you may need to have the temperature sensor replaced. Is there anything blocking the sensor (behind the front grill)?

Louis
GM Customer Service
No, nothing I'm aware of. The Suburban has not been modified or accessorized in any way.

Thanks for the feedback guys, but the dealer is resistant about replacing a part when they can't duplicate the problem.
Old March 14th, 2012, 8:36 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

You need to explain to your dealer that it's the service after the sale that keeps people coming back.
Old March 14th, 2012, 8:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

also:
any type of aftermarket grille insert or anything that alters airflow into the rad will skew the temp sensor reading. If this is the case you may have to relocate the sensor.

the ambient temp sensor will update depending on certain criteria. Untill the conditions are met; it will read the last/old reading.
Old March 14th, 2012, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
also:
any type of aftermarket grille insert or anything that alters airflow into the rad will skew the temp sensor reading. If this is the case you may have to relocate the sensor..
Thanks, but there's nothing aftermarket attached to the grill or anywhere else on the vehicle?

the ambient temp sensor will update depending on certain criteria. Untill the conditions are met; it will read the last/old reading
Could frost or condensation be a factor?
Old March 15th, 2012, 5:52 AM
Super Moderator

I will search for the enable criteria for the temp sensor update. You can then perform this procedure and verify the accuracy of the sensor.
Old March 15th, 2012, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
I will search for the enable criteria for the temp sensor update. You can then perform this procedure and verify the accuracy of the sensor.
Thanks!
Old March 16th, 2012, 9:11 PM
Super Moderator

the sensor displays current temp readings:

-at engine start up after more than 2.5hours after the engine was shut off

-ect temp is less than ambient air temp at start up

-sensor reading at start up is less than last stored reading

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside Temperature Reading Way Off