Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Painted calipers

Search this Thread

Old October 18th, 2008, 2:52 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Painted calipers

Painted my brake calipers for fun, sun burst yellow. The rear one didn’t show up well in the picture…

[IMG]local://upfiles/17388/8317E22E471C43AC8710684F2894B4A5.jpg[/IMG]
Old October 18th, 2008, 5:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Painted calipers

Looks nice. I actually thought about yellow but went with red..
Old October 18th, 2008, 6:06 PM
Administrator

looks good lol your is just like mine you took the pic right after washing and the rotorface is oxidized...I see you painted just the unpainted caliper portion, I debated about painting the whole thing or just the unpainted part and leaving the factory black on the rest of the assembly. i like that I did the entire assembly as it makes it look huge, I only did the unpainted portion of the rear and I think I will do the entire assembly as well.
Old October 19th, 2008, 9:15 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks real good man. I went with red on my Blazer, but your yellow is poppin!
Old October 19th, 2008, 12:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks nice... I assume they are just rust black factory? For my black Tahoe I think I want black brakes... how did you prep them? sand them down? special brake paint?

thanks!
Old October 19th, 2008, 2:45 PM
Administrator

My calipers were very clean and did not require any special cleaning or sanding there was no rust on them. My truck is just now a year old this month

I removed the wheels and cleaned the parts I was going to paint with
Mineral spirits and I used off the shelf Sun burst yellow rustOleum epoxy from my local Home Depot.

I got the quart but you can probably do all four with a pint.

I two coated them and also painted the factory painted parts too not just the bare metal.

I used a 1 inch brush for the larger parts and a smaller art brush for the tight areas.

The only areas that need taping off would be the back side of the brake pads
And no you don't have to take the calipers off to paint them as your only painting the visible portion of the caliper.

Unless you are really ******* your brakes and drive your truck like a sports car I don't think heat will be an issue but if I see any peeling I'll let the forum know. The most important thing is to get any grease and brake dust off before painting.

The quart of paint was $8 bucks. But you can buy caliper paint kits for about $40

EDIT
They have been painted for about3 weeks now and have been to Galvaston and back about a 450 mile round trip plus my daily driving and I just washed her yesterday and was checking them out and so far so good.
Old October 19th, 2008, 2:54 PM
CF Addict

Yea, I was just going to say what about heat.... I guess time will tell, I enjoy sporty driving and will most likely need the specialty paint... I'm sure the epoxy holds up better than regular paint, they do look neat, I just hope your hard work doesn't flake off...

That caliper looks like a ford design, unless all the new ones look like that... Red might look good on a black tahoe too...

the 20s look like they dwarf the brakes though... get some bigger brakes
Old October 19th, 2008, 2:55 PM
CF Addict

this is more related to the tires / rims.... you have the 20s I want, are they factory tires? How is the snow tracktion on them? I like a little more of an off road tire, but I do like the LTZ (Which comes with 20s), does the grip suffer at all? have you had it in snow yet?
Old October 19th, 2008, 3:22 PM
Administrator

I live in Austin Texas (which by the way is rated #1 Go Horns!) so I will probably go thru a set or twoof tires before they ever see snow...Yes they are the factory Rims and Tires, I have had no complaints they are very smooth and quite.

I really debated about the color, the red looks nice and sporty but the yellow just plan stands out. some of the reds I have seen are too dark of a red, that and blue is kinda lame, thou I did consider burnt Orange (UT colors) but it would probably be a custom color and then be more expensive and probably couldn't get it in the epoxy etc.... so I went with what was on the shelf to pick from.

I think most kits come in 3 or 4 colors Black, Blue, Red and Yellow...

EDIT
It really wasn't very difficult and time consuming to do the painting, I put the truck up on jack stands pulled all 4 wheels and was done painting in 40 min or less and repeated the steps the next day for a second coat. The hardest part was getting the wheels back on without touching the wet paint on the caipers so I could park her in the garage over night.
Old October 19th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Are you worried about the heat or did you use a hi-temp paint?

I noticed that you still have outside wheel weights on. They will wear thru the clear coat (even the coated weights will) and then the cancer of aluminum oxidation will creep out from under the weight. [:'(]

I had mine removed when I picked it up and rebalanced w/ stick-ons in the center of the rim. Even then one of the weights had started to make a dent in the clear coat.

I don't even want to talk about the game. We were embarassed. [] You guys are good.

Quick Reply: Painted calipers