Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Painting bowtie black

Search this Thread

Old December 28th, 2006, 5:01 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting bowtie black

I am most likely painting my bowties black tomorrow. I have a few questions. I just bought a chrome pair from the custom shop down the road but i was thinking about it and i can just take off the gold ones already on the truck, paint those, and put them back on right? I wasn't sure if I could paint the gold ones or not? So no need for the chrome ones? Also what do you guys think of painting the bowties black? I think it would look awesome but I didnt know if any of you guys have had first hand experience with it. Also, would you get the bowties professionally painted to match the color of the car, or powdercoated? I heard I should go powdercoated because if you get it painted it will chip easily and powdercoating doesn't chip. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old December 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Painting bowtie black

Are the bowties metal? If not, you can't powdercoat since that process requires putting the part into an oven and heating it for a while.

My powdercoater said he couldn't do my rear emblem because it wasn't metal.
Old December 28th, 2006, 1:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you've seen my post about my front bowtie and rear wiper. Just take them off and go for it.
The front comes off real easy. With the rear you have to be super careful...actually you have to be PATIENT. The technique is real easy but you have to go slow so it doesn't break. The gold/plastic rear is glued/taped to the chrome potion. Slide some fishing line in between the layers. You may have to carefully lift the edge with a small flat screwdriver to get started. Once the line is underneath use a sawing motion to cut thru the glue underneath. Once you get to the other side the plastic bowtie should pull off. Be patient and it should work.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:02 AM
CF Addict

You can paint the factory plastic emblems. It is very easy, there are several threads on this topic!

If you dont end up using your chrome front and rear bowties I would be interested in them. Post some pics of them and a price. Thanks.
Old December 30th, 2006, 1:17 AM
CF Addict

HEY GUYS. I forgot I have an extra factory front bowtie emblem I can sell. It is used, however isnt beat up or anything. If you guys want to paint around on it I will sell it to you.

If you are interested I will take $30 bucks shipped. Like I mentioned, i purchased these bowties thinking I was going to try different painting methods but have decided to stay chrome. PM or email me if you want it for $30 shipped. First come first serve!
Old January 8th, 2007, 9:05 PM
CF Addict

Hi,
I ordered a new 2007 Tahoe Front End Grille Emblem. After waiting 3 weeks for it to get in I picked up a used one. When it arrived I told them I didnt need it. Today, I was at the dealership and they still had the part. Being longer than 30 days they said they werent sending it back and I was obligated to pay for it. They did give me a discounted price. I will sell it for what I have in it. $30 shipped if you want it. Please let me know asap as I will list on ebay if one of you guys dont want it to paint around on it or whatever. Thanks, Landon.