Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Panasonic CY-RC50KU Universal Rear View Camera

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2008, 11:21 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Panasonic CY-RC50KU Universal Rear View Camera

Anyone installed this? I was looking at it and the kenwood ccd-2000. I cant find many reviews on the panasonic is more expensive. Anyone that has installed it or the ccd-2000 I would appreciate some input. Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 4:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Panasonic CY-RC50KU Universal Rear View Camera

I did the Kenwood and other than the annoying fisheye appearance, it works great!!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 7:31 PM
CF Addict

I ended up just going ahead and buying the kenwood ccd-2000 today. I had the 900 so i thought i would just stick with the kenwood brand.

What did you use for your power and ground when you installed your 2000? Did you paint the outer shell of the camera? Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 8:22 PM
CF Senior Member

Well... the wiring was not the easiest in the world to say the least... at least for me (I don't fit well under dashboards, etc)

I ordered the video input pins with the RCA jack from JPCustoms... I tied into the power at the same place you specified in your post from about a year ago - I can't remember specifically. You also need a tirgger source -- I used the p/s reverse light for theis. There are two black wires with no stripes though -- you need to take a meter to it in order to find the hot one.

In total it took me a good hour from start to finish (including remounting all of the stuff I had to remove to get the wires in).

I left the camera black, for now... it looks fine and it rather unobtrusive.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 8:27 PM
CF Addict

Yeah i was just wondering if anyone had found and easier, better power and ground source. What you are talking about is on the back of the heater controls.

However, I have one question. YOu did the complete install in 1 hour?????? Remove all the interior parts, rear hatch, fished the wires, spliced into the tail, replaced the trim, etc. All in one hour! If so you have a gift, you need to do this for a living. It took me somewhere around 3-5 hours from what i remember.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 9:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Maybe an hour and 5 minutes....

The power and ground did come from the HVAC panel -- that's it.

many moons ago, I did a LOT of work on my cars and trucks... a lot of practice taking them apart and putting them back together again with no parts left over. Then it moved into doing electrical work on fire trucks and other fun stuff with 2-way radios, etc.......

The pitcures that were posted by GMGEEK really helped in where the retaining clips were located. It really made the job happen smooth and easy.

Surprisingly enough, the trim around the radio came off in under 30 seconds without a single scratch, ding, or crack. Go figure.

If you're in NY, I can help you with the install.

Good luck!!!!!!!!
Old January 22nd, 2008, 9:48 PM
CF Addict

I didnt see the picks GM geek posted where the clips are. I will search again for it. HOwever, if you know wher it is would you help me out please. Thanks.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 1:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This might help...

https://chevroletforum.com/m_5604/mpage_16/key_/tm.htm
Old January 23rd, 2008, 5:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Landon,
I had posted earlier how I did my CCD-900 install. Here is the link where the Word document is complete with pictures. Should help you.

http://home.earthlink.net/%7Egenesto...ra_install.doc
Old January 23rd, 2008, 8:04 PM
CF Addict

Genestoy,

I actually printed out your instructions. They were very good! I ordered the ccd-2000 yesterday. My only question is that I would like to find a power and ground somewhere in the rear end rather than on the HVAC controls under the radio.

Can anyone help identify a power and ground sourch that will work somewhere in the rear? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Panasonic CY-RC50KU Universal Rear View Camera