Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Passport SRX install

Search this Thread

Old March 18th, 2007, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passport SRX install

I am working on the installof the Passport SRX, which I have taken out of my BMW and worked extremely well there in the past. This unit covers all radar bands and also does laser detection and shifting. It had saved me in thuntil nowway more than I originally paid for it.

I am having some issue finding the right spot in the front to install the two laser units. Best location seems to be the two tow shackles holes, which would limit the ability to use them but I can live with that. Anoteh possibility would be behind the grill at the bottom, but I would have to cut two holes in the grill so there are no obstructions.

Radar unit goes in the open space in front of the radiator with no problem.

Back unit normally mounts to the license plate but in the new Tahoe, there is an issue with routing the wire. I am lookin at installing it in the tow hitch cavity and perhaps take out the tow hitch cover. I never tow and this bulging cover does not look very good.

Now for a few questions:

Are there instructions on the board for removing the front bumper and grill?

Is there ahandy firewall hole to use for routing the wires to the control unit in the car?

Is there a good way to route a cable from the back to the engine bay?A conduit somewhere that goes into the car and all the way to the front? I could go under all the way but it does not seem very safe and would require shielding the cables with a plastic conduit...

Thanks for any pointers.
Old March 19th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Passport SRX install

i installed my beltronics rx75pro behind the grill which included 2 laser blockers and a radar sensor and it works great. i would not suggest putting it down by the tow hooks. Running the cables in the front isnt too bad because there is an area right below the driver side windshield wiper on the fire wall that you can bring wires into the cabin. For therear i didnt install mine however if you remove the rear piece that the chevy emblem sits on you can find a hole to run the cables through. That is a pain in the @$$ because you have to remove the whole inner door plastic and then search for the 3 or for nuts holding that rear piece in and one of them is very difficult to find, just be careful you dont scratch the rear hatch when removing that piece.
Old March 19th, 2007, 7:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a $2,000 Whistler custom made SuperDooper SRXV-1785i with quadroople/tripe/digital/bypass/megafilter/Superheterodyne 12-antenna array Lazer/Radar/Sonar/Stray-Voltage detector installed in the left rear window of my Tahoe.

I never speed; I just need to know when to hold my beer down.
Old March 19th, 2007, 8:21 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I have a $2,000 Whistler custom made SuperDooper SRXV-1785i with quadroople/tripe/digital/bypass/megafilter/Superheterodyne 12-antenna array Lazer/Radar/Sonar/Stray-Voltage detector installed in the left rear window of my Tahoe.

I thought they discontinued that model a few years ago. [sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old March 19th, 2007, 8:47 PM
CF Addict

That may splain my DUI last night....DOH!
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM
CF Junior Member

I have the Passport and the ZR3 shifters. I had them installed by Best Buy (Tweeter). The front ones are behind the grill, the rear one is on the bottom bolts of the license plate. Since I didn't install, I don't know where they ran the wires, but I can't see them anywhere. Know they work, though.
Old March 20th, 2007, 1:12 PM
CF Junior Member

That's where I was going to install. Instructions say the two side sensors need to be unobstructed, so behind the grill might be an issue.

I really don't mind the sense of humor and all the clowns provoding their piece of mind (or lack thereof). In my neck of the woods. which is radar and laser heavy, this thing has done miracles for me. Not so much at highway speeds as in school zones and the such.

It repaid itself so many times over I quit counting.
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:37 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Sounds great! But what chipset does it use?
Old March 21st, 2007, 1:19 PM
CF Addict

You know that's a very good question, we had better ask Hardin Thicke so he can try and baffle us all with some more of his bull****.

I'm sure that he is "Very, very, very, very familar" whith the chipsets in these radar detectors , "probably a little too familar", if you know what I mean.

ORIGINAL: Hardin Thicke

Let's just say that I'm very, very, very familiar with the Bose GMT9XX systems......in fact I'm a little too familiar with all of the Bose automotive audiosystems.
Damn, this guys a stud.
Old March 21st, 2007, 2:56 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: yarom

That's where I was going to install. Instructions say the two side sensors need to be unobstructed, so behind the grill might be an issue.
I have had mine behind the grill of my G35 coupe and now behind the Tahoe grill. I have been lasered and they have worked in that position. Best advice is to get a cop buddy to laser you once you have it on to increase your comfort level.

Quick Reply: Passport SRX install