Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Pioneer Nav Head Unit Problems in 07 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Nav Head Unit Problems in 07 Tahoe

I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation radio installed in my '07 Chevy Tahoe. They used the GMOS-LAN-01, which allowed me to keep OnStar functioning, plus the wiring harness to keep my steering wheel controls functional.

OnStar and hands-free calling still work, however there's some glitch in the second it takes the system to mute the radio and initialize OnStar or hands-free.

In essence, when you push either of the buttons, the first split-second of audio is clipped. For OnStar, it's not a problem, because that begins with the musical notes. For hands-free though, it sounds horrible.

You get: "...tar ready!" or "...ar ready!"

Is this a known problem with no solution or did my installer get something wrong?

Any guidance greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old September 27th, 2007, 8:26 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Pioneer Nav Head Unit Problems in 07 Tahoe

I have the same head unit, but I used a PAC adapter. I have yet to have that problem, mine clearly says "Onstar Ready" so nothing gets cut off. I would ask them to take a look at your install again.
Old September 27th, 2007, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not as versed in this as many of you.

PAC adapter?
Old September 27th, 2007, 6:40 PM
CF Active Member

PAC is the name of the company that I purchased my adapther from. I didn't use the GMOS-LAN-01.
Old September 27th, 2007, 8:21 PM
CF Active Member

I have a pioneer Z1 in my truck with a gm-os-lan02 and i have no issues like u stated. everything works the way it should.
Old September 28th, 2007, 6:54 PM
CF Beginner

I took my Tahoe back to the installer today. They swapped out the LAN unit and the problem persists. Again, the blue OnStar button is fine, because that begins with chimes. When you depress the white Hands-Free Calling button, however, it's clipped. "...tar ready."

It sucks, but the installer has no idea and no-one on the 4 different forums I presented this to has an idea either. Guess I'll deal.

While messing around with the LAN unit, I did turn down the warning chimes. No more going deaf from that, at least.

Old September 30th, 2007, 5:51 PM
CF Junior Member

do you have pictures of your install? I want to do the same thing, but i wanted to see what it looks like installed. what was the total cost of the unit, cables, adapters and install?

Thanks!
Old October 1st, 2007, 9:21 AM
CF Beginner

do you have pictures of your install? I want to do the same thing, but i wanted to see what it looks like installed. what was the total cost of the unit, cables, adapters and install?

Even though the shiny black Pioneer doesn't match the flat black of my truck's interior, I am generally satisfied with the install. Still, I can't recommend the AVIC-D3. Surely Pioneer's spendier units are better, but the nav portion ofTHIS device is rubbish. It's counterintuitive on every level, even with the instruction manual sitting in your lap.

The guide data is garbage, too. There's a major road near my house .. it's been there for more than a decade, it shows up on the map and it's one of the major freeway exits in my city .. however, the AVIC-D3 refuses to use it. My $200 Garmin c330 uses Estrella Parkway and its map data is at least a year out of date now.

And perhaps THE MOST GRATING thing the Avic-D3 does is insert random "slight right turn" commands into directions. Sometimes that's telling you to get over into the turning lane as you approach an intersection. 8 times out of 10 though, "she" just says that while you're driving down a straight road, with no turn coming up... Or on the freeway, at 70 MPH, with no exit within 5 miles or more... "Slight right turn ahead." Uh, thanks, Honey.

If the shop I bought from allowed refunds, I'd take the thing back.

The AVIC-D3 almost makes up for its sh!tty nav app by being a great stereo. The iPod integration gets a 7 out of 10 and there are a ton of customization features to get things set just the way you want them.

Costs, for me, at a retail stereo install shop:

The unit: $899 (included AVIC-D3 &navigation antenna)
GM-LAN: $129
Antenna interface: $29
iPod Connector: "Free," but obviously I paid more for other parts.
Install: "Free," but obviously I paid more for other parts.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.